Jamaica was discovered by Columbus in 1494, and remained in the possession of the Spaniards until it was taken by the English in 1655, and their possession was confirmed by the Treaty of Madrid, 1670. Self-government was introduced in 1944 and gradually extended until Jamaica achieved complete independence on 6 Aug. 1962.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Annual Report. Government Printer, KingstonGoogle Scholar
- Guide to Jamaica. Issued by Jamaica Tourist Association. Kingston, from 1937Google Scholar
- National Plan for Jamaica, 1957–67. Government Printer, Kingston, 1957Google Scholar
- Handbook of Jamaica. Government Printer, Kingston, yearly from 1886Google Scholar
- The Directory of Jamaica. London, 1962Google Scholar
- Abrahams, P., Jamaica: an island mosaic. HMSO, 1957Google Scholar
- Bibliography of Jamaica, 1900–1963. Jamaica Library Service, 1963Google Scholar