On 31 Oct., 1925, the Majlis, ‘in the name of the national welfare,’ proclaimed the deposition of the Shah, Sultan Ahmad, and the overthrow of the Qajar dynasty. On 13 Dec. the Constituent Assembly elected Reza Khan Pahlavi Shah of Persia. He abdicated and left the country on 16 Sept., 1941, and died in Johannesburg on 26 July, 1944. He was succeeded by his son, Muhammad Reza Pahlavi (born 26 Oct., 1919), who was sworn before the Majles on 18 Sept., 1941. On 15 March, 1939, the Shah married Princess Fawzieh, eldest sister of King Farouk of Egypt; they were divorced on 19 Nov., 1948. They have a daughter, born in 1940. On 12 Feb., 1951, the Shah married Miss Suraya Isfandiari Bakhtiari.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- STATISTICAL INFORMATION.—The principal statistical agencies of the government are:-— (1) Department of Census, Civil Registration, and Statistics (Ministry of the Interior); Director-General.—Dr. Afkhan Hekmat. Publications on demographical statistics, In Persian. (2) Statistical Department of the Seven-year-plan Administration; Director.— Dr. Khosran Shabahang. Publications on industry, labour, agriculture, in English and Persian. (3) Statistical and Economic Research Department of the Bank Melli Iran; Director.—Gazira Kheradjou. Publishes ‘Monthly Bulletin,’ in English and Persian. (4) Customs Department (Ministry of Finance), publishes monthly and annual reports, in French and Parisian. (5) Ministry of Labour, publishes a statistical year-book.Google Scholar
- Report on Seven-Year Development Plan for the Plan Organization of the Imperial Government of Iran. 5 vols. New York, Overseas Consultants, Inc., 1949.Google Scholar
- Gabriel (A.), Die Erforschung Persians. Vienna, 1952.Google Scholar
- Lambton (A. K. S.), Landlord and Peasant in Persia. Oxford Univ. Press, 1953.—Persian Vocabulary. Cambridge Univ. Press, 1954.Google Scholar
- Malek-Mahdavi (Ahmea), Le Parlement Iranien. Univ. of Neuchatel, 1954.Google Scholar
- Rajput (A. B.), Iran To-day. 3rd ed. Lahore, 1953.Google Scholar
- Steinglass (F. J.), A Comprehensive Persian-English Dictionary. 2nd ed. London, 1930.Google Scholar
- Sykes (Sir Percy M.), A History of Persia. 2 vols. 3rd edition. London, 1930.Google Scholar
- Tavallali (D.), Le Parlement iranien. Lausanne, 1954.Google Scholar
- Wilber (D. N.), Iran, Past and Present. Princeton, 1948.Google Scholar