The ancient Empire of Abyssinia, or ‘Ethiopia,’ includes the Kingdoms of Tigré, with Lasta, in the north-east; Amhara, with Gojam, in the west and centre; Shoa in the south; besides territories and dependencies as far as Kaffa in the south and Harar in the south-east, with considerable portions of the Galla and Somali Lands. The following are the provinces into which the country is divided :—(1) Harar and Dependencies; (2) Wollo; (3) Kassa and Magi; (4) Goré; (5) Tigré; (6) Damot and Gojam; (7) Equatorial Provinces; (8) Gondar; (9) Jimma. The whole area is 350,000 sq. miles. For treaties relating to the boundaries of Abyssinia see The Statesman’s Year-Book for 1907, p. 667. An agreement was readied in December, 1907, for the delimitation of the frontier towards British East Africa. The frontier follows the Dawa up to Ursulli, whence it runs mainly westwards, passing the south end of Lake Stephanie, and, after crossing the northeastern branch of Lake Rudolf, runs mainly northwards and terminates at 6° N. 35° E. This frontier, however, is not yet finally delimitated and accepted by the Abyssinians.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.