Nordic Eurosceptic Voting in 2014: Denmark, Norway, and Sweden
- First Online:
What determined the strong euroscepticism voiced at the 2014 European Parliament (EP) election in Denmark, Finland, and Sweden? This chapter argues that there is no such thing as a uniform Nordic model. Across the three countries, there is pronounced sovereignty-based euroscepticism and a weak democratic euroscepticism, but notable differences concerning perceptions of the European Union’s (EU’s) economic utility and expectations as to its level of social engagement. Yet, Nordic voters do not reject the idea of EU cooperation: no widespread hard euroscepticism exists. In fact, Nordic hard euroscepticism was at one of its historic lowest levels in 2014. A content analysis of eurosceptic party manifestos shows considerable alignment between the eurosceptic profiles of Nordic citizens and the policy stances of the parties they voted for.
KeywordsEuroscepticism • Public opinion • European integration • Nordic model
- Aylott, N., & Blomgren, M. (2014). EU election: Campaign in Sweden centres on ‘more or less’ Europe. The Conversation. http://theconversation.com/eu-election-campaign-in-sweden-centres-on-more-or-less-europe-25825 (webpage consulted May 2016).
- Borre, O., & Andersen, J. G. (1997). Voting and political attitudes in Denmark. Aarhus: Aarhus University Press.Google Scholar
- De Vreese, C. H. (2004). Why European citizens will reject the EU constitution (Working Paper No. 116). Center for European Studies.Google Scholar
- Hooghe, L., Marks, G., & Wilson, C. (2004). Does left/right structure party positions on European integration? In G. Marks & M. Steenbergen (Eds.), European integration and political conflict (pp. 120–140). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Manners, I., & Sørensen, C. (2007). New political contestation in the European Union. Copenhagen: DIIS Brief.Google Scholar
- Møller, B., & Sørensen, C. (2015). Uden kursændring risikerer ja-siden at tabe folkeafstemning, notat, Tænketanken Europa.Google Scholar
- Sørensen, C. (2007). Euroscepticism. A conceptual analysis and a longitudinal, cross-country examination of public scepticism towards the European Union. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Szczerbiak, A., & Taggart, P. (2003). Theorising Party-Based euroscepticism: Problems of Definition, Measurement and Causality (EPERN Working Paper No. 12).Google Scholar