Insurance Challenges and Art Crime
This chapter written by an insider of the insurance industry will outline many of the issues that affect the underwriting of fine art. It will highlight the challenges that insurance companies face with issues such as valuation, appraisals damage and loss as well as outright fraud which have always been part of the process in underwriting fine art. On the other hand, it will also bring to light more contemporary issues such as conversion, title, authenticity, money laundering and the role of the Internet which pose new challenges.
KeywordsArt insurance Insurance fraud Art insurance experts
- Art Daily. (2012). Two arrested in art heist at California financier Jeffrey Gundlac. Retrieved May 28, 2017, from http://artdaily.com/news/58000/Two-arrested-in-art-heist-at-California-financier-Jeffrey-Gundlach-s-home#.WSrd5YVGFFU.
- Art Recovery International (ARI). (2017). About ARI. Retrieved May 28, 2017, from http://artrecovery.com/about/.
- Dohmen, F., & Schmid, F. (2016). Verlorene Schätze. Der Spiegel, NRW 16/2016. Retrieved May 28, 2017, from http://magazin.spiegel.de/EpubDelivery/spiegel/pdf/144314433.
- Inland Marine Underwriters Association (IMUA). (2007). Insider theft and employee dishonesty within cultural institutions. (Report). Retrieved May 28, 2017, from http://www.imua.org/Files/reports/Insider%20Theft.html.
- International Foundation for Art Research (IFAR). (2017). About IFAR. Retrieved May 28, 2017, from https://www.ifar.org/about.php.
- International Risk Management Institute, Inc. (IRMI). (2017). The law of large numbers. Retrieved May 27, 2017, from https://www.irmi.com/online/insurance-glossary/terms/l/law-of-large-numbers.aspx.
- Kerr, J. (2015). The securitization and policing of art theft – The case of London. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Perlson, H. (2016, April 18). 11 Picasso works stolen from German bank’s collection. Artnet. Retrieved May 28, 2017, from https://news.artnet.com/art-world/picasso-works-stolen-from-german-collection-475733.
- Reed, R. (n.d.). Hiscox insurance.Google Scholar
- Reyburn, S. (2016, April 11). New York Times.Google Scholar
- Straus, D. (2009). Implication of art theft in the fine art insurance industry. In N. Charney (Ed.), Art and crime: Exploring the dark side of the art world (pp. 87–106). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.Google Scholar