The Story of LSIC: It’s All About Trust and Vision
Longitudinal studies rely on participants being willing to be interviewed repeatedly over the length of the study. Standard Western approaches to recruitment and, more critically, retaining participants are not automatically translatable to research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders families, so LSIC needed to establish, build and retain the trust of the parents and carers of young children. In this chapter we tell the story of the shaping events and processes that underpin LSIC’s design and purposive methodology. As the first of its kind in Australia and internationally, this methodology was ambitious in its aims and vision.
KeywordsAboriginal People Steering Committee Torres Strait Islander Major Life Event Indigenous Child
- Commons Wikimedia. Map of Australia https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjwr8TKmZ_OAhXHnpQKHVw8AIYQjB0IBg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AAustralia_Locator_Map.svg&bvm=bv.128617741,d.dGo&psig=AFQjCNE2ATdhoiNUs5WzifcLprdGT1HE2g&ust=1470105783421672. Accessed June 14, 2016.
- LSIC Steering Committee Meeting Minutes. 2004. Department of Family and Community Services. Canberra. 3 August.Google Scholar
- Penman, R. 2004. The Growing up of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children. Department of Family and Community Services. Canberra. Commonwealth of Australia.Google Scholar
- Tuhiwai Smith, L.I. 1999. Decolonizing Methodologies, Research and Indigenous Peoples. London and New York: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Walter, M. 2008. Lives of Diversity: Indigenous Australians. Occasional paper 4/2008. Census Series#2. Canberra. Australian Academy of the Social Sciences.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010. The Politics of the Data: How the Statistical Indigene Is Constructed. International Journal of Critical Indigenous Studies 3(2): 45–56.Google Scholar
- Walter, M., and C. Andersen. 2013. Indigenous Statistics: A Quantitative Methodology. Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press.Google Scholar