Homes in Transition: Youths’ Experiences in Singapore’s Rental Housing
Introduced in 2009, the Interim Rental Housing (IRH) Scheme provides rental flats on a temporary and shared basis to Singaporean families that are unable to obtain or afford public housing. By outlining key elements of the country’s public housing program, we highlight how the IRH is perceived by youth residents in relation to a broader “landscape of affection” embedded within conventional housing. These accounts allow for a broader understanding of the social–structural causes of “unhomeliness” in the IRH estate, as well as the micro homemaking strategies initiated by youth residents.
- Bedlington, S. (1978). Malaysia and Singapore: The Building of New States. London: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Blunt, A., & Dowling, R. (2006). Home. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Chambers, D. (2003). Family as Place: Family Photograph Albums and the Domestication of Public and Private Space. In J. M. Schwartz & J. R. Ryans (Eds.), Picturing Place: Photography and the Geographical Imagination (pp. 96–114). London: IB Tauris.Google Scholar
- Chew, V. (2009). Public Housing in Singapore. SingaporeInfopedia. National Library Board Singapore. Available at: http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_1585_2009-10-26.html. Accessed Apr 2014.
- Chin, D. (2011, December 31). Tweaks to Interim Rental Scheme. The Straits Times, p. A6.Google Scholar
- Christensen, P., James, A., & Jenks, C. (2000). Home and Movement. In S. L. Holloway & G. Valentine (Eds.), Children’s Geographies: Playing, Living, Learning. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Chua, B. H. (1988). Public Housing Policies Compared: US, Socialist Countries and Singapore (Sociology Working Paper No. 94). Department of Sociology, National University of Singapore.Google Scholar
- Chua, B. H. (1995). Communitarian Ideology and Democracy in Singapore. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Goh, C. K. (1994). Speech at National Day Rally 1994. Singapore: Ministry of Information and the Arts.Google Scholar
- Gregory, D. (1994). Geographical Imaginations. Cambridge, MA: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Heath, S. (2009). Young, Free and Single? The Rise of Independent Living. In A. Furlong (Ed.), Handbook of Youth and Young Childhood: New Perspectives and Agendas (pp. 211–216). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Henderson, S., Holland, J., McGrellis, S., Sharpe, S., & Thomson, R. (2007). Inventing Adulthoods: A Biographical Approach to Youth Transitions. Buckingham: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Housing and Development Board. (2012). Why Was HDB Leasing Vacated SERS Flats in Toa Payoh to Private Operators for Profit When These Could Have Been Used to Meet the Rental Requirements of Needy Families? HDB Speaks. Available at: http://hdbspeaks.sg/fi10/fi10336p.nsf/cw/InterimRentalHousing?OpenDocument. Accessed Oct 2014.
- Housing and Development Board. (2014a). Renting a Flat: Direct from HDB (PPHS). Available at: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10323p.nsf/w/RentDirectPPHSOverview?OpenDocument. Accessed Nov 2014.
- Housing and Development Board. (2014b). Why Can’t HDB Provide Rental Flats for All? HDB Speaks. Available at: http://www.hdbspeaks.sg/fi10/fi10336p.nsf/cc/PublicRentalFlats. Accessed Sept 2014.
- Khaw, B. W. (2013). MND Budget Debate 2013. Ministry of National Development. Available at: http://www.mnd.gov.sg/budgetdebate2013/speech_kbw.htm#speech. Accessed Oct 2014.
- Kong, L., & Yeoh, B. S. A. (2003). The Politics of Landscape in Singapore: Constructions of ‘Nation’. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press.Google Scholar
- Lee, K. Y. (2009). Speech by Mr Lee Kuan Yew, Minister Mentor, at the Key Handover Ceremony for the Pinnacle@Duxton. http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/mica/speech/S-20091213-1.print.html?AuthKey=. Accessed June 2015.
- Lefebvre, H. (1991). The Production of Space. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Lim, S. L. (1999). Housing Quality and Community Participation. Unpublished BSc (Real Estate) Dissertation, National University of Singapore.Google Scholar
- Lim, D. (2012, July 29). Not Easy When Families Share Flats. The Sunday Times, p. 10.Google Scholar
- Low, D. (2013, June 4). Rethinking Singapore’s Housing Policies. Today. Available at: http://www.todayonline.com/commentary/rethinking-singapores-housing-policies. Accessed July 2014.
- Ministry of National Development (MND). (1988). Town Councils: Participating in Progress. Singapore: Ministry of National Development.Google Scholar
- Ministry of National Development (MND). (2012). Written Answer by Ministry of National Development on Interim Housing Scheme. Available at: http://app.mnd.gov.sg/Newsroom/NewsPage.aspx?ID=3281. Accessed Oct 2014.
- Mohamad, M. (2013). MND Budget Debate 2013. Ministry of National Development. http://www.mnd.gov.sg/budgetdebate2013/speech_mo.htm#speech. Accessed Oct 2014.
- Pow, C. P. (2013). From Housing a Nation to Meeting Rising Aspirations: Evolution of Public Housing over the Years. In E. Ho, C. Y. Woon, & K. Ramdas (Eds.), Changing Landscapes of Singapore (pp. 43–60). Singapore: NUS Press.Google Scholar
- Yap, C. B. (2007, April). Homes for a Nation –Public Housing in Singapore. Ethos, 2. Available at: https://www.cscollege.gov.sg/Knowledge/ethos/Issue%202%20Apr%202007/Pages/Homes-for-a-Nation-Public-Housing-in-Singapore.aspx. Accessed Apr 2014.