Genital Surgery for Bodies Commonly Gendered as Female
This chapter gives an overview of genital reconstructive surgery that is available for trans-males in the UK, but the methods and rationales can be easily applied to any other country offering similar surgery. Some techniques that are not available in the UK have also been included for completeness. The discussion is specifically oriented to the various modifications of the techniques available for those patients identifying toward the male end of the spectrum of non-binary gender. The descriptions are based on real-world discussions and interviews with patients, and show how typical patient requests can be translated via surgical procedures to get the desired outcome.
- Garcia, M., Christopher, N., Luca, F., Spilotros, M., & Ralph, D. (2014). Overall Satisfaction, Sexual Function, and the Durability of Neophallus Dimensions Following Staged Female to Male Genital Gender Confirming Surgery: The Institute of Urology, London U.K. Experience. Translational Andrology and Urology, 3(2), 156–162. Retrieved from http://www.amepc.org/tau/article/view/3748
- Hoebeke, P., Decaestecker, K., Beysens, M., Opdenakker, Y., Lumen, N., & Monstrey, S. (2010). Erectile Implants in Female-to-Male Transsexuals: Our Experience in 129 Patients. European Urology, 57(2), 334–340.Google Scholar
- Horton, M. (2008, September). The Prevalence of SRS Among US Residents, Out & Equal Workplace Summit. Retrieved from http://www.tgender.net/taw/thbcost.html#prevalence
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2014, November 24). Update Laparoscopic Uterine Power Morcellation in Hysterectomy and Myomectomy: FDA Safety Communication. Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/ucm424443.htm
- UK Trans Info. (2014). Current Waiting Times and Patient Population for Gender Identity Services in the UK. Retrieved from http://uktrans.info/attachments/article/341/PatientPopulationSept14.pdf
- UK Trans Info. (2015). Current Waiting Times and Patient Population for Gender Identity Services in the UK. Retrieved from http://uktrans.info/attachments/article/341/patientpopulation-july15.pdf