Paralympic Philosophy and Ethics
In this chapter, we consider certain aspects of the philosophy of the Paralympic Movement by examining the four stated values of the International Paralympic Committee, namely, courage, determination, equality and inspiration. We then challenge these core values by reference to a number of prominent ethical issues in Paralympic sport. These issues include doping; autonomic dysreflexia (or “boosting”); botox injections; prosthetic technology; eligibility and classification; access to, and distribution of, resources; and elective amputation. Finally, we endeavour to offer a tentative definition of “Paralympism” based on the discussion and interrelation between ethics and Paralympic values.
- Brittain, Ian. 2010. The Paralympic Games Explained. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bruggemann G.P., A. Arampatzis, and F. Emrich. 2007. Biomechanical and Metabolic Analysis of Long Sprint Running of the Double Transtibial Amputee Athlete O. Pistorius Using Cheetah Sprint Prostheses – Comparison with Able-Bodied Athletes at the Same Level of 400m Sprint Performance – A Study Performed on the Request of the IAAF, Final Report, December.Google Scholar
- Edwards, S., and M. McNamee. 2015. Disability and Paralympic Sport. In Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy of Sport, ed. M. McNamee and W. Morgan. Abington: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Fraleigh, W.P. 1984. Right Actions in Sport: Ethics for Contestants. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.Google Scholar
- Howe, P.D. 2008. The Cultural Politics of the Paralympic Movement: Through an Anthropological Lens. Abington: Routledge.Google Scholar
- IOC. 2013. Olympism and the Olympic Movement. Lausanne: IOC Olympic Museum.Google Scholar
- Kelly, Tom. 2014. The Daily Mail, June 22. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2665341/Win-bust-Tennis-star-breast-reduction-surgery-help-game-number-three-seed-Wimbledon.html. Accessed 12 December 2016.
- Mill, John Stuart. 2016. On Liberty. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.Google Scholar
- Tweedy, S., E. Beckman, and M. Connick. 2014. Paralympic Classification: Conceptual Basis, Current Methods, and Research Update. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 6: S11–S17.Google Scholar
- Wiener, M., and B. Bateman. 2014. Behind the Door: The Oscar Pistorius and Reeva Steenkamp Story. London: Pan Macmillan.Google Scholar