A modular systems biology analysis of cell cycle entrance into S-phase
A modular systems biology approach to the study of the cell cycle of the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae is presented. Literature on the structure of yeast population and its relevance to the study of yeast cell cycle is reviewed. A model for the control of yeast cell cycle, with emphasis on a threshold mechanism controlling entrance into S-phase is presented. The simple model has been used as a framework to derive a molecular blow-up of the major upstream events controlling the G1 to S transition that involves two sequential thresholds cooperating in carbon source modulation of the critical cell size required to enter S-phase, a hallmark response of the cell cycle to changing growth conditions. The model is discussed as an aid to filter and give structure to post-genomic data. The iterative application of this approach allows to obtain more refined models capturing the major regulatory features and the molecular details of the circuits connecting cell growth to cell cycle.
KeywordsYeast Population Yeast Cell Cycle Cell Cycle Entrance Cell Protein Content Average Protein Content
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6. Barberis M, DeGioia L, Ruzzene M, Sarno S, Marin O, Coccetti P, Fantucci P, Vanoni M, Alberghina L (2005) Ck2 phosphorylation regulates inhibitory activity of the yeast cyclin dependent kinase inhibitor Sic1. Biochem J Immediate Publication, doi:10.1042/BJ20041299Google Scholar
- 9. Besson A, Gurian-West M, Schmidt A, Hall A, Roberts JM (2004) p27Kip1 modulates cell migration through the regulation of RhoA activation. Genes Dev MISSING DETAILS?Google Scholar
- 24. Gavin AC, Bosche M, Krause R, Grandi P, Marzioch M, Bauer A, Schultz J, Rick JM, Michon AM, Cruciat CM, Remor M, Hofert C, Schelder M, Brajenovic M, Ruffner H, Merino A, Klein K, Hudak M, Dickson D, Rudi T, Gnau V, Bauch A, Bastuck S, Huhse B, Leutwein C, Heurtier MA, Copley RR, Edelmann A, Querfurth E, Rybin V, Drewes G, Raida M, Bouwmeester T, Bork P, Seraphin B, Kuster B, Neubauer G, Superti-Furga G (2002) Functional organization of the yeast proteome by systematic analysis of protein complexes. Nature 415:141-147CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28. Henry CM (2003) Systems Biology. Chem Eng News 81:45-55Google Scholar
- 29. Ho Y, Gruhler A, Heilbut A, Bader GD, Moore L, Adams SL, Millar A, Taylor P, Bennett K, Boutilier K, Yang L, Wolting C, Donaldson I, Schandorff S, Shewnarane J, Vo M, Taggart J, Goudreault M, Muskat B, Alfarano C, Dewar D, Lin Z, Michalickova K, Willems AR, Sassi H, Nielsen PA, Rasmussen KJ, Andersen JR, Johansen LE, Hansen LH, Jespersen H, Podtelejnikov A, Nielsen E, Crawford J, Poulsen V, Sorensen BD, Matthiesen J, Hendrickson RC, Gleeson F, Pawson T, Moran MF, Durocher D, Mann M, Hogue CW, Figeys D, Tyers M (2002) Systematic identification of protein complexes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by mass spectrometry. Nature 415:180-183CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 43. Lee TI, Rinaldi NJ, Robert F, Odom DT, Bar-Joseph Z, Gerber GK, Hannett NM, Harbison CT, Thompson CM, Simon I, Zeitlinger J, Jennings EG, Murray HL, Gordon DB, Ren B, Wyrick JJ, Tagne JB, Volkert TL, Fraenkel E, Gifford DK, Young RA (2002) Transcriptional regulatory networks in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Science 298:799-804CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 53. Nise NS (2004) Control Systems Engineering, 4th edn. John Wiley & Son, Inc. Google Scholar
- 76. Uetz P, Giot L, Cagney G, Mansfield TA, Judson RS, Knight JR, Lockshon D, Narayan V, Srinivasan M, Pochart P, Qureshi-Emili A, Li Y, Godwin B, Conover D, Kalbfleisch T, Vijayadamodar G, Yang M, Johnston M, Fields S, Rothberg JM (2000) A comprehensive analysis of protein-protein interactions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature 403:623-627CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar