Modelling signalling pathways – a yeast approach
MAP kinase pathways are conserved signalling systems in eukaryotes that control stress responses, cell growth, and proliferation, as well as differentiation. Here, we discuss and compare the feedback control mechanisms of two very well studied yeast signalling systems: the pheromone response pathway and the osmosensing HOG pathway. Mathematical models have recently been generated, allowing in silico analysis of signalling properties of both pathways. To advance our understanding of pathway control and to make modelling less dependent on parameter estimation, quantitative time course data of high precision and resolution need to be generated in the future and implemented into mathematical models. We expect that a combination of quantitative analyses and modelling/simulation will provide novel insight into the rules with which signalling pathways control cellular processes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 24. Heinrich R, Neel BG, Rapoport TA (2002) Mathematical models of protein kinase signal transduction. Mol Cell 9:957-970Google Scholar
- 31. Klipp E, Nordlander B, Krüger R, Gennemark P, Hohmann S (2004) The dynamic response of yeast cells to osmotic shock - a systems biology approach. Nat Biotechnol under revisionGoogle Scholar
- 33. Krauss G (2001) Biochemistry of Signal Transduction and Regulation. Second Edition, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim ISBN 3-527-30378-2Google Scholar
- 49. Sprague GFJ, Thorner JW (1992) Pheromone response and signal transduction during the mating process of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. In: Jones EW, Pringle JR, Broach JR (eds) The molecular and cellular biology of the yeast Saccharomyces. Gene expression. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, pp 657-744Google Scholar
- 51. Támas MJ, Hohmann S (2003) The osmotic stress response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Topics Curr Genet 1:121-200Google Scholar
- 52. Támas MJ, Hohmann S (2003) The osmotic stress response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Topics Curr Genet 1:121-200Google Scholar
- 57. van Drogen F, Stucke VM, Jorritsma G, Peter M (2001) MAP kinase dynamics in response to pheromones in budding yeastGoogle Scholar