Solubilization of aluminum and calcium nitrates into W|O microemulsions and lyotropic liquid crystals stabilized by a nonionic surfactant
The phase limits were determined for W/O microemulsions and the lamellar lyotropic liquid crystal in the system of cyclohexane/aqueous solutions of aluminum and calcium nitrates/commercial tetraethylenegly-coldodecylether. Visual observation, optical microscopy, and small-angle x-ray diffraction were used.
The results showed an increase of the maximum amount of aqueous solution in the microemulsions with enhanced salt concentration as well as an enlargement of the area for the lamellar liquid crystal. The penetration of water into the surfactant layers of the liquid crystal was significantly increased after addition of salt.
Key wordsMicroemulsions liquid crystals detergents and surfactants solubilization salt solutions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brinker CJ, Scherer GW (1990) Sol-Gel Science, The Physics and Chemistry of Sol-Gel Processing. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Sol-Gel Technology for Thin Films, Fibers, Preforms, Electronics and Speciality Shapes. (Klein LC, ed.) (1988) Noyes Publications, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- 3.Friberg SE, Yang C-C (1988) In: Doyle FM, Raghaven S, Somasundaran P, Warren GW (eds.) Innovations in Materials Processing Using Aqueous Colloid and Surface Chemistry. The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, Warrendale, Pennsylvania, 181Google Scholar
- 4.Friberg SE, Yang C-C, Sjöblom J, Langmuir (in press)Google Scholar
- 5.Friberg SE, Amran A, Yang C-C, Sjöblom J, Colloids Surfaces (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Friberg SE, Jones SM, Yang C-C (1992) J Disp Sci Vol 13 No 1Google Scholar
- 7.Friberg SE, Amran A, Yang C-C, Sjöblom J (1991) Colloids and Surfaces (in press)Google Scholar
- 9.Ekwall P, Mandell L, Fontell K (1977) J Coll I Sci 61:3Google Scholar
- 10.Selle MH, Sjöblom J, Friberg SE, Young T, Yang C-C (1992) Progress Colloid Polym Sci (in press)Google Scholar
- 15.Ravey JC, Buzier M, Picot C (1984) J Coll I Sci 97:9, 3778Google Scholar
- 16.Saito H, Shinoda K (1970) J Coll I Sci, 32:649Google Scholar
- 17.Saeten JO, Fordedal H, Skodvin T, Sjöblom J, Amran A, Friberg SE (1992) J Colloid I Sci (in press)Google Scholar
- 19.Friberg SE, Buraczewska I (1978) Progr Colloid PS 63:1Google Scholar