Charge dynamics in cuprate superconductors
In this lecture we present some interesting issues that arise when the dynamics of the charge carriers in the CuO2 planes of high temperature superconductors is considered. Based on the qualitative picture of doping, set by experiments and some previous calculations, we consider the strength of the various inter- and intra-cell charge transfer susceptibilities, the question of Coulomb screening and charge collective-modes. The starting point is the usual p-d model extended by the long-range Coulomb (LRC) interaction. Within this model it is possible to examine the case in which the LRC forces frustrate the electronic phase separation, the instability which is present in the model without a LRC interaction. While the static dielectric function in such systems is negative down to arbitrarily small wavevectors, the system is not unstable. We consider the dominant electronic charge susceptibilities and possible consequences for the lattice properties.
KeywordsFermi Surface Charge Density Wave CuO2 Plane Cuprate Superconductor Charge Fluctuation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P.B. Littlewood in: V.J. Emery (ed.), Correlated electron systems, World Scientific (1993), p. 1 Google Scholar
- 3.S. Barišić in: B.K. Chakraverty (ed.), Critical Trends in High T c Superconductivity, World Scientific, 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Kotliar in: V.J. Emery (ed.), Correlated electron system, World Scientific (1993), p. 118.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Tutiš, Ph.D. thesis, University of Zagreb, 1994.Google Scholar
- 16.K.A. Müller and G. Bedenek (eds.), Phase Separation in Cuprate Superconductors, World Scientific, (1993).Google Scholar
- 18.O.V. Dolgov, D.A. Kirzhnits and E.G. MaksimovGoogle Scholar
- 18a.V.L. Ginzburg and D.A. Kirzhnits in: V.L. Gizburg (ed.), Superconductivity, Superdiamagnetism, Superfluidity, Mir, Moscow 1987.Google Scholar