On the long times, large length scale behaviour of disordered systems
We discuss the large scale effective potential for elastic objects in the presence of a random pinning potential. In the static approach, converging analytical results show that the large scale, low temperature free energy landscape consists in a succession of parabolic wells of random depth, matching on singular points where the effective force is discontinuous. These parabolas are themselves subdivided into smaller parabolas, corresponding to the motion of smaller length scales, in a hierarchical manner. Consequences for the dynamics of these pinned objects are underlined, and compared to the mean field theory of aging effects.
KeywordsEnergy Landscape Flux Line Effective Force Large Length Scale Replica Symmetry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- for a recent review, see e.g. M. Kardar, D. Ertas, in ’scale Invariance, Interfaces and Non-equilibrium dynamics’, NATO-ASI (1995), Kluwer., M. Kardar, ‘Lectures on directed paths in random media’, Les Houches Summer School on ‘Fluctuating geometries in Statistical Mechanics and Field Theory’, in press.Google Scholar
- R. Vergne, J. C. Cotillard, J.L. Porteseil, Rev. Phys. Appl. 16 449 (1981).Google Scholar
- L. Néel, Cahier de la Physique 12 (1942) and 13 (1943)Google Scholar
- L. Balents, J.P. Bouchaud and M. Mézard, cond-mat/9601137, to appear in J. Physique (August 1996).Google Scholar
- J. M. Burgers, ‘The Non-Linear Diffusion Equation’, D. Reidel Pub. Co. (1974)Google Scholar
- J.P. Bouchaud, M. Mézard, preprint cond-mat 9607006Google Scholar
- E. Vincent, J. Hammann, M. Ocio, p. 207 in “Recent Progress in Random Magnets”, D.H. Ryan Editor, (World Scientific Pub. Co. Pte. Ltd, Singapore 1992)Google Scholar
- E. Vincent, J. Hammann, M. Ocio, J. P. Bouchaud, L. Cugliandolo, this volume.Google Scholar
- F. Alberici, P. Doussineau, A. Levelut, preprint.Google Scholar
- [36a]S. Franz and F. Ritort, preprint cond-mat/9508133; C. Godrèche, J.P. Bouchaud and M. Mézard, J. Phys. A28 (1996) L603Google Scholar