An adaptive agent oriented software architecture
A new approach to software design based on an agent-oriented architecture is presented. Unlike current research, we consider software to be designed and implemented with this methodology in mind. In this approach agents are considered adaptively communicating concurrent modules which are divided into a white box module responsible for the communications and learning, and a black box which is the independent specialized processes of the agent. A distributed Learning policy is also introduced for adaptability.
TopicsAgent Architectures Agents Theories
KeywordsAgent-oriented systems Multi-Agent Software architectures Distributed Learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Cheyer, L. Julia, Multimodal Maps: An Agent-based Approach, http://www.ai.sri.com/~cheyer/papers/mmap/mmap.html, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.P. R. Cohen, A. Cheyer, M. Wang, S. C. Baeg, OAA: An Open Agent Architecture, AAAI Spring Symposium, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Cranefield, M. Purvis, An agent-based architecture for software tool coordination, in the proceedings of the workshop on theoretical and practical foundations of intelligent agents, Springer, 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Finin, J. Weber, G. Wiederhold, M. Genesereth, R. Fritzson, D. McKay, J. McGuire, S. Shapiro, C. Beck, Specification of the KQML Agent-Communication Language, 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Franklin, A. Graesser, Is it an Agent or just a Program? A Taxonomy for Autonomous Agents, in: Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on Agents Theories, Architectures, and Languages, Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.M. R. Genesereth, S. P. Ketchpel, Software Agents, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 37, No. 7, July 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.B. Hayes-Roth, K. Pfleger, P. Lalanda, P. Morignot, M. Balabanovic, A domain-specific Software Architecture for adaptive intelligent systems, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, April 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Hodjat, M. Amamiya, The Self-organizing symbiotic agent, http://www_al.is.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~bobby/1stpaper.htm, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.T. Khedro, M. Genesereth, The federation architecture for interoperable agent-based concurrent engineering systems. In International Journal on Concurrent Engineering, Research and Applications, Vol. 2, pages 125–131, 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.R. R. Korfhage, Information Storage and Retrieval, John Wiley & Sons, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Mitchell. An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms. MIT Press, 1996.Google Scholar