Recent vectorization and parallelization of ITPACKV
A status report is given on recent work on the vectorization and parallelization of the ITPACKV 2C  software. This package has been modified for improved performance on vector supercomputers resulting in a new version called ITPACKV 2D  that includes wavefront techniques. The main reason for these changes was to obtain improved vector performance of several methods that did not vectorize in the previous version. Results are also presented on initial efforts at modifying this package to produce a parallel ITPACKV suitable for execution on shared-memory parallel computers with relatively small numbers of processors.
Key wordsiterative methods large sparse systems of linear equations numerical solution of partial differential equations parallelization polynomial acceleration procedures research-oriented software shared-memory parallel computers supercomputers vector computers vectorization AMS(MOS) subject classifications 65F10 65M10 68B99
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Grimes, R. G., D. R. Kincaid, and D. M. Young. “ITPACK 2.0 user's guide.” Report CNA-150, Center for Numerical Analysis, University of Texas at Austin, August, 1979.Google Scholar
- Kincaid, D. R., and D. M. Young. “Survey of iterative methods.” Encyclopedia of Computer Sciences and Technology, Vol. 13, (J. Belzer, A. G. Holzman, and A. Kent, eds.), M. Dekker, New York, 1979, pp. 354–391.Google Scholar
- Kincaid, D.R., and T. C. Oppe. “Adapting ITPACK on supercomputers.” Numerical Methods (eds. V. Pereyra and A. Reinoza), pp. 151–161. New York: Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, No. 1005, 1983. Also Report CNA-178, Center for Numerical Analysis, University of Texas at Austin, September 1982.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kincaid, D. R., T. C. Oppe, and D. M. Young. “Adapting ITPACK routines for use on a vector computer.” Proceedings of the Symposium on Cyber 205 Applications, The International Symposium on Vector Processing Applications, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, August 12–13, 1982. Also Report CNA-177, Center for Numerical Analysis, University of Texas at Austin, August 1982.Google Scholar
- Kincaid, D. R., T. C. Oppe, and D. M. Young. “ITPACKV 2C user's guide.” Report CNA-191, Center for Numerical Analysis, University of Texas at Austin, February 1984.Google Scholar
- Kincaid, D. R., T. C. Oppe, and D. M. Young. “ITPACKV 2D user's guide.” Report CNA-232, Center for Numerical Analysis, University of Texas at Austin, May, 1989.Google Scholar
- Kincaid, D. R., and T. C. Oppe. “Chapter 9: Some parallel algorithms on the four processor Cray X-MP4 supercomputer,” Parallel Supercomputing: Methods, Algorithms, and Applications, (ed. G. F. Carey), Chichester, England: Wiley & Sons, 1989, pp. 121–134.Google Scholar
- Oppe, T. C., and D. R. Kincaid. “The performance of ITPACK on vector computers for solving large sparse linear systems arising in sample oil reservoir simulation problems.” Communications in Applied Numerical Methods, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1987, pp. 23–29. Also Report CNA-200 (Revised), Center for Numerical Analysis, University of Texas at Austin, April 1986.CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- Oppe, T. C. The Iterative Solution of Large Sparse Linear Systems Using Vector Computers. Ph D. dissertation, University of Texas at Austin, May 1990.Google Scholar
- Young, D. M. Iterative Solution of Large Linear Systems. New York: Academic Press, 1971.Google Scholar
- Young, D. M., T. C. Oppe, D. R. Kincaid, and L. J. Hayes. “On the use of vector computers for solving large sparse linear systems.” Proceedings of the Conference on Vector and Parallel Processors for Scientific Computation, held at Academia dei Lincei Palazzina dell' Auditoria, via della Lungara 230, Rome, Italy, May 27–29, 1985. Also Report CNA-199, Center for Numerical Analysis, University of Texas at Austin, May 1985.Google Scholar