Systems of equations over a finitely generated free monoid having an effectively findable equivalent finite subsystem
It has been proved recently, cf, [AL], that each system of equations over a finitely generated free monoid having only a finite number of variables has an equivalent finite subsystem. We discuss the problem when such a finite subsystem can be effectively found. We show that this is the case when the system is defined by finite, algebraic or deterministic two-way transducers.
KeywordsBinary Relation Regular Language Compactness Property Free Semigroup Free Monoid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CK2]Culik II, K., and Karhumäki, J., The decidability of the DTOL sequence equivalence problem and related decision problems, University of Waterloo, Department of Computer Science, Research Report CS-85-05 (1985).Google Scholar
- [CS]Culik II, K., and Salomaa, A., On the Decidability of Homomorphism Equivalence for Languages, J. Comput. System Sci. 17 (1978) 163–175.Google Scholar
- [Gu]Guba, V.S., personal communication (1985).Google Scholar
- [HKK]Horváth, S., Karhumäki, J., and Kleijn, H.C.M., Decidability and characterization results concerning palindromicity, EIK, to appear.Google Scholar
- [S]Spehner,J.-C., Tout sous-monoide finiment engendré d'un monoide libre admet une présentation de Malcev finie, C.R. Acad. Sc. Paris, 301, Série I, no. 18 (1985).Google Scholar