Is the null-graph a pointless concept?
The graph with no points and no lines is discussed critically. Arguments for and against its official admittance as a graph are presented. This is accompanied by an extensive survey of the literature. Paradoxical properties of the null-graph are noted. No conclusion is reached.
KeywordsLabel Graph Enumeration Problem Label Tree Finite Graph Chromatic Polynomial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Harary, F., Graph Theory. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1969.Google Scholar
- 5.König, D. Theorie der endlichen und unendlichen Graphen. Leipzig, 1936. Reprinted Chelsea, New York, 1950.Google Scholar
- 6.Maxwell, L. M., and Reed, M. B., Theory of Graphs: A Basis for Network Theory, Pergamon Press, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- 7.Ore, O., Theory of Graphs. American Mathematical Society Colloq. Publ. Volume 38, Providence, 1962.Google Scholar
- 9.Read, R. C., A Mathematical Background for Economists and Social Scientists, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1971.Google Scholar
- 12.Tutte, W. T., The Connectivity of Graphs. Toronto University Press, Toronto, 1967.Google Scholar