Assessing LogP model parameters for the IBM-SP
This paper deals with LogP-model parameters assessment for the IBM-SP machine. An extension of LogP has been used. This extension allows the communication of arbitrary sized messages. Moreover, a distinction has been made between the sender and the receiver overheads. We present a methodology to assess the overhead parameter under the MPI communication library. Then, we use a microbenchmark to assess the L and g parameters.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Boeres. Versatile Communication Cost Modelling for Multicomputer Task Scheduling Heuristics. PhD thesis, University of Edinburgh, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.D. E. Culler, R. M. Karp, D. Patterson, A. Sahay, K. E. Schauser, E. Santos, R. Subramonian, and T. Von Eicken. LogP: Towards a Realistic Model of Parallel Computation. In Fourth ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on principles and practice of parallel programming, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.D. E. Culler, L. T. Liu, R. P. Martin, and C. Yoshikawa. LogP Performance Assessment of Fast Network Interfaces. IEEE Micro, February 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.J. J. Dongarra and T. Dunigan. Message Passing Performance of Various Computers. Technical report, UT-CS-95-299, Computer science department, University of Tennesee,Knoxville, Tenessee, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Franke, E. Wu, P. Pattnaik, and M. Snir. MPI Programming Environment for IBM SP1/SP2. In International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems IEEE Computer Society Press Los Alamitos California, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.K. K. Keeton, T. E. Anderson, and D. A. Patterson. Logp Quantified: The Case for Low-overhead Local Area Networks. In Hot Interconnects III: A Symposium on High Performance Interconnects, Stanford University, Stanford California, August 10–12 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.Z. Li, Mills P., and J. Reif. Models and Resource Metrics for Parallel and Distributed Computation. In Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Parallel Algorithms Software Technology Track, IEEE Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.L. Mengjou, T. Rose, et al. Performance Evaluation of the CM-5 Interconnection Network. Technical report, University of Minnesota, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Snir et al. The Communication Software and Parallel Environment of the IBM-SP2. IBM systems journal, 34(2), 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.B. Stunkel et al. The SP2 High Performance Switch. IBM systems journal, 34(2), 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.G. Tengwall. SP2 Architecture and Performance. springer verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.C. Tron. Modèles Quantitatifs de Machines Parallèles: Les réseaux d’interconnection. PhD thesis, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, France, 1994.Google Scholar
- 13.University of Tenessee. MPI Forum: A Message Passing Interface Standard, 1994.Google Scholar