Translating relational queries to object-oriented queries according to ODMG-93
With the advent of object-oriented database systems there is a need to migrate/integrate old systems, mainly relational ones, to/into object-oriented systems. In this paper we propose a method to automatically translate SQL queries to OQL ones. The method is based on a graph representation of SQL queries. This graph is enriched and transformed in a series of stages which take into account the caracteristics of the object schema with respect to the relational one (new entity type, ISA relationship, class hierarchy, etc.). This semantic enrichment allows an optimized translation of the SQL queries compared with a purely syntaxic translation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Batini S. Ceri and S.B Navathe. Conceptual DatabaseDesign-An Entity-Relationship Approach. Benjamin/Cumming Redwood city, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Elmasri and S. B. Navathe. Fundamentals of database systems. Benjamin/Cummings redwood city, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Vermeer and P. Apers. Objet-oriented views of relational databases incorporating behaviour. In the fourth International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (DASFAA ’95), 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.W. Meng C. Yu W. Kim G. Wang T. Pham and S. Dao. Construction of a relational front-end for object oriented database systems. In The 9th International Conference on Data Engineering, pages 476–483, vienna 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.J-L Hainault. Database reverse engineering: models technics and strategies. In The 10th International Conference on Entity-Relationship Approach, pages 729–741, 1991.Google Scholar
- 7.R.G.G Cattell. ODMG-93: Le standard des bases de donnes objets. Thomson Publishing, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.C. Fahrner and G. Vossen. Transformation of relational schemas into object-oriented schemas according to odmg-93. In fourth International Conference on Deductive and Object-Oriented Database DOOD’95, pages 429–446, 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.J-M Petit F. Toumani J-F Boulicaut and J. Kouloumdjian. Towards the reverse engineering of denormalized relational databases. In the 12th International Conference on Data Engineering ICDE’96, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Castellanos F. Saltor and M. Garcia-Salaco. Semantically enrichment of relational databases into an object-oriented semantic model. In The 5th International conference on Database Applications DEXA’94, 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.W. Kim. On optimizing an sql-like nested query. ACM TODS, pages 443–469, 1982.Google Scholar
- 13.U. Dayal. Of nests and trees: A unified approach to processing queries that contain nested subqueries, aggregates and quantifiers. In 13th Very Large DataBases (VLDB) Conference, pages 197–208, 1987.Google Scholar