On the ordering of rewrite rules
The conceptual development of the rule-based component of the CROQUE query rewrite and optimization system led to the derivation of an ordering of the rules present in the rule base according to their “optimization potential” in order to increase the efficiency of the logical term rewriting . This heuristic may indeed be used for any other rule-based optimizer, too.
The major contribution of our approach is a combination of three ideas: (1) limit the search space of query optimization by grouping and ordering rules (for rule-based optimizers), (2) use of “offline” pre-optimization ordering instead of dynamic ordering during the optimization process, (3) taking into consideration more than one (“n-best”) alternatives for further evaluation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.G.G. Cattell, editor. The Object Database Standard: ODMG-93, Release 1.2. Morgan-Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA, 1996.Google Scholar
- D. Gluche, T. Grust, C. Mainberger, and M.H. Scholl. Incremental Updates for Materialized Views with User-Defined Functions. In Proc. of the Fifth Int. Conference on Deductive and Object-Oriented Databases (DOOD’97), Montreux, Switzerland, December 1997.Google Scholar
- T. Grust, J. Kröger, D. Gluche, A. Heuer, and M.H. Scholl. Query Evaluation in CROQUE — Calculus and Algebra Coincide. In Proc. of the 15th British National Conference on Databases (BNCOD 15), London, UK, LNCS 1271, Springer, pages 84–100, July 1997.Google Scholar
- A. Heuer and J. Kröger. Query Optimization in the CROQUE Project. In Proc. of the 7th Int. Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA ’96), Zurich, Switzerland, LNCS 1134, Springer, pages 489–499, September 1996.Google Scholar
- J. Kröger, S. Paul, and A. Heuer. Query Optimization: On the Ordering of Rules. Preprint CS-09-98, CS Dept., University of Rostock, 1998. Available at http://wwwdb.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~jo/CS-09-98.htmlGoogle Scholar
- H. Riedel and M.H. Scholl. A Formalization of ODMG Queries. In Proc. of the 7th Int. Conference on Database Semantics (DS-7), Leysin, Switzerland, October 1997.Google Scholar