Exceptions in Guide, an object-oriented language for distributed applications
This paper describes the design of an exception handling mechanism for Guide, an object-oriented language based on a distributed system. We confront the usual exception techniques to the object formalism, and we propose conformance rules and an original association scheme. A specific tool to maintain the consistency of objects in the face of exceptions is provided. System and hardware exceptions are integrated to the mechanism, and parallelism is handled in an original manner. Some details of the implementation are given.
Key wordsexceptions consistency object-oriented languages concurrency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Krakowiak, M. Meysembourg, H. Nguyen Van, M. Riveill, C. Roisin and X. Rousset. Design and implementation of an object-oriented, strongly typed language for distributed applications. Journal of Object-Oriented Programming, 3(3), pp. 11–22, September–October 1990.Google Scholar
- R. Balter and al. Architecture and Implementation of Guide, an Object-Oriented Distributed System. to appear in Computing Systems, 1991.Google Scholar
- ANSA Reference Manual. Architecture Projects Management Limited, 24 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1JP, United Kingdom, March 1989.Google Scholar
- B. Liskov, M. Herlihy, P. Johnson, G. Leavens, R. Scheifler and W. Weihl. Preliminary Argus Reference Manual. October 1983.Google Scholar
- M.A. Ellis and B. Stroustrup. The Annotated C++ Reference Manual. Addison-Wesley, 1990.Google Scholar
- B. Liskov and A. Snyder. Exception Handling in CLU. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, SE-5(6), pp. 546–558, November 1979.Google Scholar
- B. Meyer. Object-Oriented Software Construction. Series in Computer Science Prentice Hall International, 1988.Google Scholar
- C. Dony. Exception Handling and Object-Oriented Programming: towards a synthesis. Proc. ECOOP/OOPSLA '90, pp. 322–330, October 1990.Google Scholar
- L. Cardelli, J. Donahue, L. Glassman, M. Jordan, B. Kalsow and G. Nelson. Modula-3 Report (revised). DEC SRC, October 1989.Google Scholar
- W.F. Burger, N. Halim, J.A. Pershing, R. Strom and S. Yemini. Draft NIL Reference Manual. (42993), IBM, TJ Watson RC, P.O. Box 218, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, December 1982.Google Scholar
- Objectworks Smalltalk-80 V2.5. Advanced User's Guide. Parc Place Systems, 1550 Plymouth Street, Mountain View, California 94043, 1989.Google Scholar
- C. Schaffert, T. Cooper and C. Wilpolt. Trellis Object-Based Environment, Language Reference Manual. (DEC-TR-372), DEC, Eastern Research Lab, Hudson, Masachusetts, November 1985.Google Scholar