The Breeder Genetic Algorithm for frequency assignment
The Frequency Assignment Problem is an NP-complete problem which occurs during the design of a cellular telecommunication network. In this paper we describe a real-world frequency assignment scenario. We designed a Breeder Genetic Algorithm (BGA) capable of dealing with up to 5500 carriers which have to be assigned frequencies. The total number of available frequencies is about 50. The optimization goal is twofold: to assign as many frequencies as possible and to minimize the interference costs which are caused by the assignment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balston, D.M., Macario, R. C. V. (Eds): Cellular Radio Systems. Artech House (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Bouju, A. et al.: Tabu search for radio links frequency assignment problem. Applied Decision Technologies, London. UNICOM Conf. (1995).Google Scholar
- 3.Crisan, C., Mühlenbein, H.: The Frequency Assignment Problem: A Look at the Performance of Evolutionary Search. Artificial Evolution, LNCS 1363. (1998) 263–273.Google Scholar
- 4.Crompton, W., Hurley, S., Stephens, N.M.: A Parallel Genetic Algorithm for Frequency Assignment Problems. Proc. of IMACS SPRANN. (1994) 81–84.Google Scholar
- 5.Dorne, R., Hao, J.-K.: An Evolutionary Approach for Frequency Assignment in Cellular Radio Networks. Proc. of IEEE Intl. Conf. on Evolutionary Computation. (1995) 539–544.Google Scholar
- 8.Gamst, A., Rave, W.: On the frequency assignment in mobile automatic telephone systems. GLOBECOM 82. (1982) 309–315.Google Scholar
- 9.Hao, J.-K., Dorne, R.: Study of Genetic Search for the Frequency Assignment Problem. Artificial Evolution, LNCS 1063. (1996) 333–344.Google Scholar
- 10.Mühlenbein, H., Schlierkamp-Voosen D.: Predictive Models for the Breeder Genetic Algorithm. Evolutionary Computation. (1993) 25–49.Google Scholar
- 11.Mühlenbein, H., Schlierkamp-Voosen D.: The science of breeding and its application to the breeder genetic algorithm. Evolutionary Computation 1(4). (1994) 335–360.Google Scholar
- 12.Plehn, J.: Applied Frequency Assignment. Proc. of the IEEE Veh. Tech. Conference. (1994).Google Scholar
- 13.Description of the CALMA Benchmark Problems. http://dutiosd.twi.tudelft.nl/~rlfap/Google Scholar