A decoder-based evolutionary algorithm for constrained parameter optimization problems
Several methods have been proposed for handling nonlinear constraints by evolutionary algorithms for numerical optimization problems; a survey paper  provides an overview of various techniques and some experimental results, as well as proposes a set of eleven test problems. Recently a new, decoder-based approach for solving constrained numerical optimization problems was proposed [2, 3]. The proposed method defines a homomorphous mapping between n-dimensional cube and a feasible search space. In  we have demonstrated the power of this new approach on several test cases. However, it is possible to enhance the performance of the system even further by introducing additional concepts of (1) nonlinear mappings with an adaptive parameter, and (2) adaptive location of the reference point of the mapping.
KeywordsReference Point Search Space Line Segment Search Point Infeasible Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Koziel, S. (1996). Non-uniform and non-stationary mutation in numerical optimization using genetic algorithms. Electronics and Telecomm. Quarterly, 42 (3), pp. 273–285.Google Scholar
- 2.Koziel, S. (1997). Evolutionary algorithms in constrained numerical optimization problems on convex spaces. Electronics and Telecomm. Quarterly, 43 (1), pp. 5–18.Google Scholar
- 3.Koziel, S. and Michalewicz, Z. (1997). Evolutionary algorithms, homomorphous mappings, and constrained parameter optimization. To appear in Evolutionary Computation, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Michalewicz, Z. (1996). Genetic Algorithms+Data Structures=Evolution Programs. New-York: Springer Verlag. 3rd edition.Google Scholar
- 5.Michalewicz, Z. and C. Z. Janikow (1991). Handling constraints in genetic algorithms. In R. K. Belew and L. B. Booker (Eds.), Proceedings of the 4 th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pp. 151–157. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- 6.Michalewicz, Z. and G. Nazhiyath (1995). Genocop III: A co-evolutionary algorithm for numerical optimization problems with nonlinear constraints. In D. B. Fogel (Ed.), Proceedings of the Second IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 647–651. IEEE Press.Google Scholar
- 7.Michalewicz, Z. and Schoenauer, M. (1996). Evolutionary computation for constrained parameter optimization problems. Evolutionary Computation, Vol.4, No.1, pp.1–32.Google Scholar
- 8.Schoenauer, M. and Z. Michalewicz (1996). Evolutionary computation at the edge of feasibility. W. Ebeling, and H.-M. Voigt (Eds.), Proceedings of the 4 th Conference on Parallel Problems Solving from Nature, pp.245–254, Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- 9.Schoenauer, M. and Z. Michalewicz (1997). Boundary Operators for Constrained Parameter Optimization Problems. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pp.320–329, July 1997.Google Scholar