A tool for the development of meta-applications supporting several message-passing programming environments
This paper presents the extensions made to WAMM (Wide Area Metacomputer Manager) in order to manage a metacomputer composed of hosts on which several message-passing programming environments run. Initially, WAMM only permitted the execution of meta-applications consisting of PVM components. To allow the execution of meta-applications composed of PVM and MPI tasks, WAMM has been extended by means of PLUS. PLUS is one of the main components of the MOL Project. It provides an efficient, easy-to-use interface among various communication libraries.
The paper is organized as follows: after the introduction, Sections 2 and 3 describe WAMM and PLUS respectively. Section 4 presents some implementation details related to the new WAMM functionalities, and Section 5 describes some performance measurements related to the new version of WAMM. Section 6 concludes the paper.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. C. Fox, R. D. Williams, and P. C. Messina. Parallel Computing Works! Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc., 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.IBM. Parallel Environment for AIX: Operation and Use. IBM Corporation, August 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.Parsytec Computer GmbH. Parix 1.2 Documentation and Reference Manual.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Geist, A. Beguelin, J. Dongarra, W. Jiang, B. Manchek, and V. Sunderam. PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine — A User's Guide and Tutorial for Network Parallel Computing. MIT Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.MPIF. MPI: A Message Passing Interface Standard. Final Report, Version 1.1. Message Passing Interface Forum. Available via WWW: www.mcs.anl.gov,/Projects/mpi/standard.htm, June 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.I. Foster and C. Kesselman. The Globus Project: A Status Report. to appear in the proceedings of IEEE Heterogeneous Computing Workshop, Orlando, USA, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Reinefeld, J. Gehring, and M. Brune. Communicating Across Parallel Message-Passing Environments. In Journal of Systems Architecture, special issue on Cluster Computing, Elsevier, 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Reinefeld, R. Baraglia, T. Decker, J. Gehring, D. Laforenza, F. Ramme, T. Römke, and J. Simon. The MOL Project: An Open Extensible Metacomputer. In Proceedings of Sixth IEEE Heterogenous Computing Workshop (HCW 97), pages 17–31. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.J.E. Devaney, R. Lipman, M. Lo, W.F. Mitchell, M.Edwards, and C.W. Clark. The Parallel Applications Development Environment (PADE), User's Manual. National Institute of Standards and Technology, November 1995.Google Scholar
- 12.J.A. Kohl and G.A. Geist. XPVM 1.0 Users' Guide, Technical Report ORNL/TM-12981. Computer Science and Mathematical Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, TN, USA, April 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Baraglia, G. Faieta, M. Formica, and D. Laforenza. WAMM: A visual interface for managing metacomputers. In EuroPVM, pages 137–142. Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, Lyon, France, September 14–15 1995.Google Scholar
- 15.W. Gropp, E. Lusk, N. Doss, and A. Skjellum. A High-Performance, Portable Implementation of the MPI Standard. Available via WWW: http://www.mcs.anl.gov, /mpi/mpich/indexold.html, 1996.Google Scholar
- 16.R. Sgherri. Integrazione di WAMM (Wide Area Metacomputer Manager) nel Progetto MOL (Metacomputer On Line). Master's thesis, University of Pisa (Italy), October 1997.Google Scholar
- 17.B. Topol, J. Stasko, and V. Sunderam. Monitoring and Visualization in Cluster Environments. Technical Report GIT-CC-96-10, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, March 1996.Google Scholar
- 18.R. Baraglia, M. Cosso, D. Laforenza, and M. Nicosia. Integrating PVaniM into WAMM for Monitoring Meta-Applications. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume 1332, pages 226–233. Springer-Verlag, 1997.Google Scholar