On the implementation of a portable, client-server based MPI-IO interface
In this paper we present the MPI-IO Interface kernel in the Vienna Parallel Input Output System (ViPIOS), which is a client-server based parallel I/O system. Compared to the already existing parallel I/O systems and libraries the concept of an independent distributed server promises to greatly enhance the usability and acceptance of the I/O system as well as the portability of client applications. The programmer of a client application does not have to deal with details like file layout on disk, sharing of filepointers etc. Instead high level MPI-IO requests may be issued and the server is expected to perform them in a (near) optimal way.
ViPIOS is based on MPI and is targeted (but not restricted) to MPP's using the SPMD paradigm. We describe the current system architecture in general and give a detailed overview of MPI-related design considerations.
Keywordsparallel I/O server-client SPMD ViPIOS MPI-IO I/O chapter in MPI-2
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Benkner, K. Sanjari, V. Sipkova, and B. Velkov. Parallelizing irregular applications with the vienna hpf+ compiler vfc. In Proceedings HPGN'98. Springer Verlag, April 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.Peter F. Corbett, Dror G. Feitelson, Jean-Pierre Prost, George S. Almasi, Sandra Johnson Baylor, Anthony S. Bolmarcich, Yarsun Hsu, Julian Satran, Marc Snir, Robert Colao, Brian Herr, Joseph Kavaky, Thomas R. Morgan, and Anthony Zlotek. Parallel file systems for the IBM SP computers. IBM Systems Journal, 34(2):222–248, January 1995.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.G. Fagg, J. Dongarra, and A. Geist. Heterogeneous mpi application interoperation and process management under pvmpi. Technical report, University of Tennessee Computer Science Department, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.Samuel A. Fineberg, Parkson Wong, Bill Nitzberg, and Chris Kuszmaul. PMPIO—a portable implementation of MPI-IO. In Proceedings of the Sixth Symposium on the Frontiers of Massively Parallel Computation, pages 188–195. IEEE Computer Society Press, October 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.Terry Jones, Richard Mark, Jeanne Martin, John May, Elsie Pierce, and Linda Stanberry. An MPI-IO interface to HPSS. In Proceedings of the Fifth NASA Goddard conference on Mass Storage Systems, pages I:37–50, September 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.E. Schikuta, T. Fuerle, C. Loeffelhardt, K. Stockinger, and H. Wanek. On the performance and scalability of client-server based disk i/o. Technical Report TR98201, Institute for Applied Computer Science and Information Systems, Juli 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.Rajeev Thakur, Ewing Lusk, and William Gropp. Users guide for ROMIO: A high-performance, portable MPI-IO implementation. Technical Report ANL/MCS-TM-234, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, October 1997.Google Scholar