On-line performance monitoring using OMIS
This paper presents the motivation of development and functionality of a tool for on-line performance monitoring developed using an independently operating monitoring facility built according to OMIS requirements. The tool is based on previously developed one for off-line performance analysis. The monitoring facility's operation has been modified by adding a request distributor as an intermediate layer for handling user's requests. The request distributor and the monitoring facility communicate using two-directional asynchronous communication built on top of Sun RPC.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Strumpen, V., Ramkumar, B., Casavant, T.L., Reddy, S.M.: Perspectives for High Performance Computing in Workstation Networks, in: Liddell, H., Colbrook, A., Hertzberger, B., Sloot, P., (Eds.): Proc. Int. Conf. High Performance Computing and Networking, Brussels, April 15–19, 1996, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1067, pp. 880–889, Springer, 1996Google Scholar
- 2.Viersbach, U., Hesse, M., Zellermann, G., Schlanke J.: Parallelization: Readiness of Workstation Clustering for Computer Aided Engineering, in: Bubak, M., MoŚciński, J., (Eds.): Conf. Proc. High Performance Computing and Networking on Hewlett-Packard Systems HiPer'97, Kraków, November 5–8, 1997, pp. 95, ACC CYFRONET-KRAKóW, 1997Google Scholar
- 3.Pancake, C. M., Simmons, M. L., and Yan, J. C., (Eds.): Special Issue on Performance Evaluation Tools for Parallel and Distributed Systems of IEEE Computer, November 1995, Vol. 28, No. 11Google Scholar
- 4.Ludwig, T., Wismueller, R., Sunderam, V., and Bode, A.: OMIS — On-line Monitoring Interface Specification (Version 2.0), Shaker Verlag, 1997, Aachen, vol. 9, LRR-TUM Research Report Series http://wwwbode.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~omis/OMIS/Version-2.0/version-2.0Google Scholar
- 5.Ludwig. T. and Wismueller, R.: OMIS 2.0 — A Universal Interface for Monitoring Systems, in: Marian Bubak, Jack Dongarra, Jerzy Wasniewski (Eds.): Recent Advances in Parallel Virtual Machine and Message Passing Interface. Proceedings of 4th European PVM/MPI Users' Group Meeting, Cracow, Poland, 3–5 November 1997, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1332, pp. 267–276, Springer, 1997Google Scholar
- 6.Bubak, M., Funika, W., MoŚciński, J.: Monitoring of performance of PVM applications on virtual network computer, in: WaŚniewski, J., Dongarra, J., Madsen, K., and Olesen, D., (Eds.): Applied parallel computing — industrial computation and optimization, Proc. Third International Workshop, PARA'96, Lyngby, Denmark, August 18–21, 1996, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1184, pp. 147–156, Springer, 1996Google Scholar
- 7.Bubak M., Funika, W., MoŚciński J.: Evaluation of Parallel Application's Behavior in Message Passing Environment, in: Marian Bubak, Jack Dongarra, Jerzy Wasniewski (Eds.): Recent Advances in Parallel Virtual Machine and Message Passing Interface. Proceedings of 4th European PVM/MPI Users' Group Meeting, Cracow, Poland, 3–5 November 1997, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1332, pp. 234–241, Springer, 1997Google Scholar
- 8.Kohl, J.A., and Geist, G.A.: The PVM 3.4 Tracing facility and XPVM 1.1. in: Proceedings of the 29th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Hawaii, 1996Google Scholar
- 9.Miller, B.P., Callaghan, M.D., Cargille, J.M., Hollingsworth, J.K., Irvin, R.B., Karavanic, K.L., Kunchithapadam, K., and Newhall, T.: The Paradyn Parallel Performance Measurement Tool, IEEE Computer, vol. 28, No. 11, November, 1995, pp. 37–46Google Scholar