The unification problem for one relation Thue Systems
We give an algorithm for the unification problem for a generalization of Thue Systems with one relation. The word problem is a special case. We show that in many cases this is a decision procedure with at most an exponential time bound. We conjecture that this is always a decision procedure.
KeywordsNormal Form Word Problem General Unifier Decision Procedure Ground Instance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Adian. Definining relations and algorithmic problems for groups and semigroups. Trudy Matem. in-ta im. Steklova AN SSSR, 85, 1996 (Russian).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Adian, and G. Oganesian. On the word and divisibility problems in semigroups with a single defining relation. Izv. An. SSSR Ser. Matem., 42(2),219–225, 1978 (Russian).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Bouwsma. Semigroups Presented by a Single Relation. PhD dissertation at Pennsylvania State University, 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Kirchner. Computing unification algorithms. In Proceedings of the First Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, Boston, 200–216, 1990.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Lallement. The word problem for Thue rewriting systems. In Spring School in Rewriting, ed. H. Comon and J. P. Jouannaud, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Lynch. Goal Directed Completion using SOUR Graphs. In Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Rewriting Techniques and Applications (RTA), Sitges, Spain, June 2–4, 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.R. McNaughton. Well-behaved derivations in one-rule Semi-Thue Systems. Tech. Rep 95-15, Dept. of Computer Science, Rensselaer Polytechnic Unstitute, Troy, NY, Nov. 1995.Google Scholar