Cooperation between top-down and bottom-up theorem provers by subgoal clause transfer
Top-down and bottom-up theorem proving approaches have each specific advantages and disadvantages. Bottom-up provers profit from strong redundancy control and suffer from the lack of goal-orientation, whereas top-down provers are goal-oriented but have weak calculi when their proof lengths are considered. In order to integrate both approaches our method is to achieve cooperation between a top-down and a bottom-up prover: the top-down prover generates subgoal clauses, then they are processed by a bottom-up prover. We discuss theoretic aspects of this methodology and we introduce techniques for a relevancy-based filtering of generated subgoal clauses. Experiments with a model elimination and a superposition prover reveal the high potential of our approach.
KeywordsInference Rule Theorem Prover Search State Model Elimination Proof Search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AS92]O.L. Astrachan and M.E. Stickel. Caching and Lemmaizing in Model Elimination Theorem Provers. In Proceedings of CADE-11, pages 224–238, Saratoga Springs, USA, 1992. Springer LNAI 607.Google Scholar
- [DF94]J. Denzinger and M. Fuchs. Goal oriented equational theorem proving. In Proc. 18th KI-94, pages 343–354, Saarbrücken, 1994. LNAI 861.Google Scholar
- [DF98]J. Denzinger and D. Fuchs. Enhancing conventional search systems with multi-agent techniques: a case study. In Proc. Int. Conf. on Multi Agent Systems (ICMAS) 98, Paris, France, 1998.Google Scholar
- [Fuc98a]D. Fuchs. Cooperation between Top-Down and Bottom-Up Theorem Provers by Subgoal Clause Transfer. Technical Report SR-98-01, University of Kaiserslautern, Kaiserslautern, 1998.Google Scholar
- [Fuc98b]M. Fuchs. Similarity-Based Lemma Generation for Model Elimination. In Proc. CADE-15, Lindau, Germany, 1998.Google Scholar
- [Kor85]Richard E. Korf. Depth-First Iterative-Deepening: An Optimal Admissible Tree Search. AI, 27:97–109, 1985. Elsevier Publishers B.V. (North-Holland).Google Scholar
- [Lov68]D.W. Loveland. Mechanical Theorem-Proving by Model Elimination. Journal of the ACM, 15(2), 1968.Google Scholar
- [MIL+97]M. Moser, O. Ibens, R. Letz, J. Steinbach, C. Goller, J. Schumann, and K. Mayr. The Model Elimination Provers SETHEO and E-SETHEO. special issue of the Journal of Automated Reasoning, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Sch94]J. Schumann. Delta — a bottom-up preprocessor for top-down theorem provers. system abstract. In Proceedings of CADE-12. Springer, 1994.Google Scholar
- [SSY94]G. Sutcliffe, C.B. Suttner, and T. Yemenis. The TPTP Problem Library. In CADE-12, pages 252–266, Nancy, 1994. LNAI 814.Google Scholar
- [Sut92]G. Sutcliffe. A heterogeneous parallel deduction system. In Proc. FGCS’92 Workshop WS, 1992.Google Scholar
- [WGR96]C. Weidenbach, B. Gaede, and G. Rock. Spass & Flotter Version 0.42. In Proc. CADE-13, pages 141–145, New Brunswick, 1996. LNAI 1104.Google Scholar