About synchronization languages
Synchronization languages are a model used to describe the behaviors of distributed applications whose synchronization constraints are expressed by synchronization expressions. Synchronization languages were conjectured by Guo, Salomaa and Yu to be characterized by a rewriting system. We have shown that this conjecture is not true. This negative result has led us to extend the rewriting system and Salomaa and Yu to extend the definition of synchronization languages. The aim of this paper is to establish the link between these two extensions, we show that the behaviors expressed by the two families of synchronization languages are only separated by morphisms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clerbout, M., Roos, Y., and Ryl, I. Synchronization languages. Theoretical Computer Science. to appear.Google Scholar
- 2.Clerbout, M., Roos, Y., and Ryl, I. About synchronization languages (full version). Tech. Rep. IT-98-313, Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.Clerbout, M., Roos, Y., and Ryl, I. Langages de synchronisation et systèmes de réécriture. Tech. Rep. IT-98-311, Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Diekert, V., and Rozenberg, G., Eds. The Book of Traces. World Scientific, Singapore, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Govindarajan, R., Guo, L., Yu, S., and Wang, P. ParC project: Practical constructs for parallel programming languages. In Proc. IEEE 15th Annual Internationnal Computer Software & Applications Conference (1991), pp. 183–189.Google Scholar
- 7.Ryl, I., Roos, Y., and Clerbout, M. Partial characterization of synchronization languages. In Proc. 22nd International Symposium on Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science (MFCS'97) (Bratislava, Slovakia, 1997), I. Prívara and P. RuŽička, Eds., vol. 1295 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 209–218.Google Scholar
- 8.Salomaa, K., and Yu, S. Rewriting rules for synchronization languages. In Structures in Logic and Computer Science, a Selection of Essays in Honor of A. Ehrenfeucht, J. Mycielski, G. Rozenberg, and A. Salomaa, Eds., vol. 1261 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1997, pp. 322–338.Google Scholar