Do we really need an accurate calibration pattern to achieve a reliable camera calibration?
This article raises the problem of errors caused by the metrology of a calibration pattern to the accurate estimation of the intrinsic and extrinsic calibration parameters modeling the video system. In order to take into account these errors a new approach is proposed that enables us to compute in the same time the traditional calibration parameters and the 3D geometry of the calibration pattern using a multi-images calibration algorithm. Experimental results shows that the proposed algorithm leads to reliable calibration results and proves that calibration errors no longer depend on the accuracy of calibration point measurement, but on the accuracy of calibration point detection in the image plane.
Keys wordsCamera calibration Calibration pattern Photogrammetry Metrology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ame84]American Society for Photogrammetry. Manual of Photogrammetry, 4th edition, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Bey92]H.A. Beyer. Geometric and Radiometric Analysis of a CCD-Camera Based Photogrammetric Close-Range System. PhD thesis, Institut fur Geodasie und Photogrammetrie, Nr 51, ETH, Zurich., May 1992.Google Scholar
- [Bro71]D.C. Brown. Close-range camera calibration. Photogrammetric Engineering, Vol 8(Nr 37):pp 855–866, 1971.Google Scholar
- [FT87]O. Faugeras and G. Toscani. Camera calibration for 3d computer vision. In Proc. of CVPR, Tokyo, japan, 1987.Google Scholar
- [LL96]M. Li and J. M. Lavest. Some aspects of zoom lens calibration. IEEE PAMI, Vol 18(Nr 11), 1996.Google Scholar
- [Pa97]P. Plancke and al. Calibration of vision system (calvin). Final Report of European Space Agency, (WPB5-T1), 1997.Google Scholar
- [PK94]C.J. Poelman and T. Kanade. A paraperspective factorisation method for shape and motion recovery. Third European Conference on Computer Vision, ECCV94, Stockholm, Vol 2:pp 97–108, May 1994.Google Scholar
- [Tsa86]R.Y. Tsai. An efficient ansd accurate calibration technique for 3d machine vision. In In proc. of CVPR, pages pp 364–374, Miami, UsA, 1986.Google Scholar