Totality, definability and boolean circuits
In the type frame originating from the flat domain of boolean values, we single out elements which are hereditarily total. We show that these elements can be defined, up to total equivalence, by sequential programs. The elements of an equivalence class of the totality equivalence relation (totality class) can be seen as different algorithms for computing a given set-theoretic boolean function. We show that the bottom element of a totality class, which is sequential, corresponds to the most eager algorithm, and the top to the laziest one. Finally we suggest a link between size of totality classes and a well known measure of complexity of boolean functions, namely their sensitivity.
KeywordsLogical Relations Scott's Model PCF Boolean Circuits
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barreiro, N., Ehrhard, T.: Anatomy of an extensional collapse. Submittend paper. (1997). Available from http://hypatia.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/cgi-bin/sarah?q=ehrhard.Google Scholar
- 3.Boppana, R. B., Sipser, M.: The Complexity of finite functions. In: van Leeuwen, J. (ed.): Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, vol. A. Elsevier (1990) 759–802Google Scholar
- 4.Bucciarelli, A.: Logical Reconstruction of Bi-Domains. Proc. of the 3rd Int. Conf. on Typed Lambda Calculi and Applications, LNCS 1210, Springer-Verlag (1997) 99–111Google Scholar
- 5.Ehrhard, T.: A relative definability result for strongly stable functions, and some corollaries. (1997) To appear in Information and Computation. Available from http://hypatia.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/cgi-bin/sarah?q=ehrhard.Google Scholar
- 6.Mitchell, J. C.: Type Systems for Programming Languages. In: van Leeuwen, J. (ed.): Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, vol. B, Elsevier (1990) 365–458Google Scholar
- 8.Plotkin, G.: Full Abstraction, Totality and PCF. Available from http://hypatia.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/authors/P/PlotkinGD/Google Scholar
- 9.Sazonov, V. Y.: Degrees of Parallelism in Computations. Proc. Conference on Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, LNCS 45, Springer-Verlag (1976)Google Scholar
- 10.Wegener, I.: The Complexity of Boolean functions. Wiley-Teubner Series in Comp. Sci., New York-Stutgart (1987)Google Scholar