Speeding up Pollard's rho method for computing discrete logarithms
In Pollard's rho method, an iterating function f is used to define a sequence (y i) by y i+1=f(y i) for i=0,1, 2,..., with some starting value y0. In this paper, we define and discuss new iterating functions for computing discrete logarithms with the rho method. We compare their performances in experiments with elliptic curve groups. Our experiments show that one of our newly defined functions is expected to reduce the number of steps by a factor of approximately 0.8, in comparison with Pollard's originally used function, and we show that this holds independently of the size of the group order. For group orders large enough such that the run time for precomputation can be neglected, this means a real-time speed-up of more than 1.2.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. Atkin. The number of points on an elliptic curve modulo a prime. Manuscript.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Greenhalgh. Random walks on groups with subgroup invariance properties. PhD thesis, Department of Mathematics, Stanford University, 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.D. E. Knuth. The art of computer programming. Volume 3: Sorting and searching. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1973.Google Scholar
- 6.N. Koblitz. A Course in Number Theory and Cryptography. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.F. Lehmann, M. Maurer, V. Müller, and V. Shoup. eco — a tool for elliptic curve group order computations, 1997. TI, Technische UniversitÄt Darmstadt.Google Scholar
- 9.LiDIA Group, Technische UniversitÄt Darmstadt. LiDIA — A library for computational number theory. Available from http://www.informatik.tudarmstadt.de/TI/LiDIA.Google Scholar
- 10.V. Miller. Uses of elliptic curves in cryptography. In Advances in Cryptology — CRYPTO '85, volume 218 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 417–426, 1986.Google Scholar
- 14.D. Shanks. Class number, a theory of factorization and genera. In Proc. Symp. Pure Math. 20, pages 415–440. AMS, Providence, R.I., 1971.Google Scholar
- 15.J. Silverman. The arithmetic of elliptic curves. Springer-Verlag, 1986.Google Scholar
- 16.E. Teske. New algorithms for finite abelian groups. PhD thesis, Technische UniversitÄt Darmstadt, 1998.Google Scholar
- 17.E. Teske. A space efficient algorithm for group structure computation. To appear in Mathematics of Computation, 1998.Google Scholar
- 18.P. C. van Oorschot and M. J. Wiener. Parallel collision search with cryptanalytic applications. To appear in Journal of Cryptology.Google Scholar