View updates translations in relational databases
Views over databases have been studied in various directions for many years. Among these directions, translating view updates in terms of updates on the base relations has motivated many research efforts. In this paper, we propose a method for characterizing translations of view updates, based on the notion of inverse of a relational expressions. Moreover, we characterize two kinds of updates: (1) deterministic updates regardless to the database state, and (2) deterministic updates according to some database state.
KeywordsRelational Expression Relational Database Relation Scheme Relational Algebra Database State
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Abiteboul, R. Hull, and V. Vianu. Foundations of Databases. ADDISON-WESLEY, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Atzeni and R. Torlone. Updating Intensional Predicates in Datalog. Data and Knowledge Engineering, 8, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Bentayeb and D. Laurent. Inversion de l'Algèbre Relationnelle et Mises à jour (french). Technical Report 97-09, LIFO, Orléans, France, Juin 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Bentayeb and D. Laurent. Translating View Updates Using Inversion of Relational Algebra. Technical Report 98-03, LIFO, Orléans, France, February 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.J. A. Blakeley, P.-A. Larson, and F. W. Tompa. Efficiently Updating Materialized Views. ACM SIGMOD, 1986.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Ceri and J. Widom. Deriving Production Rules for Incremental View Maintenance. In Proceedings of the 17th International conference on Very Large Data Bases, Barcelona, September 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.T. Imielinski and W. Lipski. Inverting Relational expressions — A Uniform and Natural Technique For Various Database Problems. A CM SIGACT-SIGMOD, 1983.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Laurent, V. Phan Luong, and N. Spyratos. Deleted Tuples are Useful when Updating through Universal Scheme Interfaces. In 8th IEEE ICDE, USA, 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.D. Laurent and N. Spyratos. A Partition Model Approach to Updating Universal Scheme Interfaces. IEEE TKDE, 6(2), Avril 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.J. Ullman. Principles of Database and Kowledge-Base Systems, volume 2. Computer Science Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- 13.G. Vossen. Data Models, Database Languages and Database Management Systems. ADDISON-WESLEY, 1990.Google Scholar