Rectangular decomposition of signature file: Design issues and performance evaluation
Signature file acts as a filter to eliminate the unqualified data items for an information request. The contribution of this paper is two-fold. First, we propose a methodology for structured database. The main idea of decomposition amounts to dividing the relations of database into subrelations called ’rectangle’. Owing to the reduction of storage overhead, rectangular decomposition has a direct benefit in a reduction of false drop probability. Second, we extend the use of rectangular decomposition to partitionning signature file called Super-Rectangular Organisation SRO. The choice of the criteria to cluster signatures is based upon the relationship between the associated objects. Our main concern is to study the performance of this method in terms of this ability to reduce the search space and false drop probability. We also perform simulation experiments by comparing several methods like S-tree and Quick filter. The results show that the SRO improves performance significantly in term of retrieval time and false drop probability.
Key wordsAccess method Signature file Clustering Rectangular decomposition Rectangle Superimposed coding Performance analysis Information retrieval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Arout and A. Jaoua. Signature Extraction Method in Rectangular Database. Information Sciences, 87(1–3):67–78, November 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.W.W. Chang and H.j. Schek. A Signature Access Method for the Starburst Database System. In Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Conference on Very Large Database. Amsterdam, pages 145–153, August 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.U. Deppisch. S-tree: A dynamic balansed signature index for office retieval. In Proceedings of the 1986 ACM Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Pisa, Italy, pages 77–87, September 1986.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Faloutsos. Signature Files: An Integrated Access Method for Text and Attributes Suitable for Optical Disk Storage. BIT, pages 736–754, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.M.M. Gammoudi. Méthode de décomposition Rectangulaire d'une Relation Binaire: une Base Formelle et UNiforme pour la Génération Automatique des Thesaurus et la Recherche Documentaire. Doctorat es-sciences, spécialité informatique, Université de Nice-Sophia Antipolis, Septembre 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Kcherif and A. Jaoua. Rectangular Decomposition Heuristics for Large Databases. In Joint Conference on Information Sciences, October 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.F. Rabitti and P. Savino. Image Query Processing on Multilevel Signatures. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGIR'90, International Conference, Chicago, Information Retrieval Brussels, pages 305–314, September 1991.Google Scholar