Automatic derivation of terminological properties from database schemes
Many organizations nowadays own several information systems which represent a mine of possible information resources whose effective exploitation is becoming a key issue in many application contexts. A major problem to be faced within such contexts is the semantic normalization of scheme objects used in heterogeneous, independent and pre-existing databases as to single out differences and similitudes among data whereby a consistent, integrated view of available information can be obtained. To solve large instances of this problem, the development of automatic support tools appears to be mandatory. This paper gives a contribution in this framework by presenting algorithms for extracting useful properties holding among objects belonging to sets of pre-existing database schemes. The algorithms are capable of deriving both nominal and structural properties of scheme objects starting from database scheme descriptions.
KeywordsDatabase Scheme Nominal Property Semantic Normalization Conditional Property Semistructured Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.C. Batini, M. Lenzerini, A methodology for data schema integration in the entity relationship model, IEEE TSE10(6), 650–664, 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Bonifati, L. Palopoli, D. Saccà, D. Ursino, Discovering Description Logic assertions from database schemes, Proceedings of DL '97,144–148, Gif Sur Yvette, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Bonífati, L.Palopoli, D. Saccà, D. Ursino, Automatic extraction of database scheme semantic properties using Knowledge Discovery techniques, Proceedings of IADT'98, Berlin. Forthcoming.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Castano, V. De Antonellis, Semantic Dictionary Design for Database Interoperability, Proceedings of ICDE'97, Birmingham, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Castano, V. De Antonellis, M.G.Fugini, B.Pernici, Conceptual Schema Analysis: Techniques and Applications, Rapporto Interno, Politecnico di Milano 95–060, 1995.Google Scholar
- 12.L. Palopoli, D. Saccà, D. Ursino, Semi-automatic, semantic discovery of properties from database schemes, Proc. of IDEAS'98, Cardiff. Forthcoming.Google Scholar
- 13.S.Spaccapietra, C.Parent, View Integration: A Step Forward in Solving Structural Conflicts, IEEE TKDE 6(2), 258–274, 1994.Google Scholar