Selecting actions to trigger in active database applications
This paper studies the problem of selecting rules to fire in real-time active databases in order to avoid missing action deadlines. We give an algorithm that executes at every fixed time interval (called the Rule Selection Period), and satisfies three properties, namely, the Completion Property, the Duration Property, and the Priority Property. We develop a probabilistic model, and an inexpensive (polynomial-time) algorithm for the satisfaction of the Completion Property. We show that the problem of satisfying the Duration and the Priority Properties at the same time is NP-Complete. We then give two heuristic-based algorithms, and briefly summarize the associated experimental results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AHW95]Aiken, A., Hellerstein, J.M., and Widom, J., “Static Analysis Techniques for Predicting the Behavior of Active Database Rules”, ACM TODS, Vol. 20, No. 1., March 1995.Google Scholar
- [BCP96]Baralis, E., Ceri, S., and Paraboschi, S., “Modularization Techniques for Active Rules Design”, ACM TODS, Vol. 2, No. 1, March 1996.Google Scholar
- [Chak92]Chakravarthy, S., Special Issue on Active Databases, IEEE Bulletin of the TC on Data Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 1–4, December 1992.Google Scholar
- [CKTB95]Chakravarthy, S., Krishnaprasad, V., Tamizuddin, Z., Badana, R.H., “ECA Rule Integration into an OODBMS: Architecture and Implementation”, IEEE ICDE Conf., February 1995.Google Scholar
- [Doug90]Dougherty, E.R., Probability and Statics for the Engineering, Computing, and Physical Sciences, Prentice-Hall, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Kuo97]Kuo, H.-C., “A Rule-Based Cooperative Transaction Model and Event Processing in Real-Time Active Database Systems”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Dept of Computer Eng. and Sci., Case Western Reserve University, Feb. 1997.Google Scholar
- [OzSn95]özsoyoğlu, G. and Snodgrass, R., “Temporal and Real-Time Databases: A Survey”, IEEE TKDE, Vol. 7, No. 4, August 1995.Google Scholar
- [WiCe96]Widom, J. and Ceri, S., (ed.) Active Database Systems: Triggers and Rules For Advanced Database Processing Morgan Kaufmann Pub., 1996.Google Scholar