Approximating circular arc colouring and bandwidth allocation in all-optical ring networks
We present randomized approximation algorithms for the circular arc graph colouring problem and for the problem of bandwidth allocation in all-optical ring networks. We obtain a factor-of-(1+1/e+o(1)) randomized approximation algorithm for the arc colouring problem, an improvement over the best previously known performance ratio of 5/3. For the problem of allocating bandwidth in an all-optical WDM (wavelength division multiplexing) ring network, we present a factor-of-(1.5+1/2e+o(1)) randomized approximation algorithm, improving upon the best previously known performance ratio of 2.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cosares, S., Carpenter, T., and Saniee, I. Static Routing and Slotting of Demand in SONET Rings. Presented at the TIMS/ORSA Joint National Meeting, Boston, MA, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.Erlebach, T. and Jansen, K. Call Scheduling in Trees, Rings and Meshes. In Proc. 30th Hawaii International Conf. on System Sciences, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.Golumbic, M. C, Algorithmic Graph Theory and Perfect Graphs, Academic Press, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.Kaklamanis, C. and Persiano, P. Efficient wavelength routing on directed fiber trees. In Proc. 4th Annual European Symposium on Algorithms, 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.Kumar, V. and Schwabe, E.J. Improved access to optical bandwidth in trees. In Proc 8th Annual ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 437–444, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.McDiarmid, C. On the method of bounded differences. In J. Siemons, editor, Surveys in Combinatorics, volume 141 of LMS Lecture Notes Series, pages 148–188. 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.Mihail, M., Kaklamanis, C, and Rao, S. Efficient Access to Optical Bandwidth. In Proc IEEE Symp on Foundations of Comp Sci, pp. 548–557, 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.Motwani, R., and Raghavan, P. Randomized Algorithms, Cambridge University Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.Raghavan, P. Randomized Rounding and Discrete Ham-Sandwiches: Provably Good Algorithms for Routing and Packing Problems. PhD Thesis, CS Division, UC Berkeley, 1986.Google Scholar
- 14.Raghavan, P., and Upfal, E. Efficient Routing in All-Optical Networks. In Proc 26th ACM Symp on Theory of Computing, pp. 134–143, 1994.Google Scholar
- 15.Shih, W.K. and Hsu, W.L. An Approximation Algorithm for Coloring Circular-Arc Graphs. SIAM Conference on Discrete Mathematics, 1990.Google Scholar
- 16.Settembre, M. and Matera, F. All-optical implementations of high capacity TDMA networks. Fiber and Integrated Optics, 12:173–186, 1993.Google Scholar