Versioning system models through description logic
In software configuration management, little attention has been paid to the evolution of system models, that is, the description of the components that make up a system, and the relationships between them. We present an extension to the version set model based on description logic, where roles, set-valued features, model relationships between version sets. Relationships are versioned with their components; features are propagated and unified along component relationships, ensuring configuration completeness and consistency. The integrated version set model has been realized in ICE MAKE, a MAKE clone dealing with versioned system models. ICE MAKE constructs arbitrary version sets according to their respective dependencies and deduces features and dependencies as imposed by the propagated configuration constraints.
Key wordsSoftware configuration management Version control Software architecture Deduction and theorem proving Knowledge representation formalisms and methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adams, P., and Solomon, M. An overview of the CAPITL software development environment. In Estublier ., pp. 1–34.Google Scholar
- 2.Brandes, M. Deduktive Programmkonstruktion auf Basis von MAKE. Master's thesis, Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany, Dec. 1996. In German.Google Scholar
- 3.Estublier, J., Ed. Software Configuration Management: selected papers / ICSE SCM-4 and SCM-5 workshops (Seattle, Washington, Oct. 1995), vol. 1005 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 4.Estublier, J., and Casallas, R. The Adele configuration manager. In Tichy , ch. 4, pp. 99–133.Google Scholar
- 6.Mahler, A. Variants: Keeping things together and telling them apart. In Tichy , ch. 3, pp. 39–69.Google Scholar
- 8.Tichy, W. F., Ed. Configuration Management, vol. 2 of Trends in Software. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.Tryggeseth, E., Gulla, B., and Conradi, R. Modelling systems with variability using the PROTEUS configuration language. In Estublier ., pp. 216–240.Google Scholar
- 10.Zeller, A. Smooth operations with square operators—The version set model in ICE. In Proc. 6th International Workshop on Software Configuration Management (Berlin, Germany, Mar. 1996), I. Sommerville, Ed., vol. 1167 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, pp. 8–30.Google Scholar
- 11.Zeller, A.Configuration Management with Version Sets. PhD thesis, Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany, Apr. 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.Zeller, A. Versioning software systems through concept descriptions. Computer Science Report 97-01, Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany, Jan. 1997.Google Scholar