Patterns generate architectures
- 262 Downloads
We need ways to describe designs that communicate the reasons for our design decisions, not just the results. Design patterns have been proposed as ways of communicating design information. This paper shows that patterns can be used to derive an architecture from its problem statement. The resulting description makes it easier to understand the purpose of the various architectural features.
KeywordsDesign Pattern Design Decision Original Object Graphic Pattern Specialized Interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Alexander77]Christopher Alexander, Sara Ishikawa and Murray Silverstein, with Max Jacobson, Ingrid Fiksdahl-King and Shlomo Angel. A Pattern Language. Oxford University Press, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- [Alexander79]Christopher Alexander. The Timeless Way of Building. Oxford University Press, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- [Anderson93]Bruce Anderson. Workshop Report-Towards an Architecture Handbook. OOPSLA'92: Addendum to the Proceedings, printed as OOPSLA Messenger, 4(2): 109–114, April 1993Google Scholar
- [Coad93]Peter Coad and Mark Mayfield. Workshop Report-Patterns. OOPSLA'92: Addendum to the Proceedings, printed as OOPSLA Messenger, 4(2): 93–95, April 1993Google Scholar
- [Deutsch89]L. Peter Deutsch, “Design Reuse and Frameworks in the Smalltalk-80 Programming System”, pp 55–71, Software Reusability, Vol II, ed. Ted J. Biggerstaff and Alan J.Perlis, ACM Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Gamma93]Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John Vlissides, “Design patterns: Abstraction and reuse of object-oriented design”. In European Conference on Object-oriented Programming, Kaiserlauten, German, July 1993. Published as Lecture notes in Computer Science #707, pp. 406–431, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [Gamma94]Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson.and John Vlissides. Design Patterns: Elements of Object-Oriented Software Architecture Addison-Wesley, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Garlan93]David Garlan and Mary Shaw, “An Introduction to Software Architecture”, in Advances in Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering Volume I, World Scientific Publishing Company, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Johnson88]Ralph E. Johnson and Brian Foote,“Designing Reusable Classes” Journal of Object-Oriented Programming, 1(2):22–25, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Krasner88]Glenn E. Krasner and Stephen T. Pope,“A Cookbook for Using the Model-View Controller User Interface Paradigm in Smalltalk-80”, Journal of Object-Oriented Programming, 1(3):26–49, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Parnas86]David L. Parnas and P.C. Clements “A Rational Design Process: How and Why to Fake It”, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, SE-12:2 February 1986.Google Scholar