An automata approach to some problems on context-free grammars
In Chapter 4 of , Book and Otto solve a number of word problems for monadic string-rewriting systems using an elegant automata-based technique. In this note we observe that the technique is also very interesting from a pedagogical point of view, since it provides a uniform solution to several elementary problems on context-free languages. We hope that Wilfried Brauer will consider these results for inclusion in the next edition of his textbook on automata theory .
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. V. Aho, J. E. Hopcroft and J. D. Ullman. The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms. Addison-Wesley, 1976.Google Scholar
- 2.R. F. Book and F. Otto. String-Rewriting Systems. Texts and Monographs in Computer Science. Springer, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Bouajjani and O. Maler. Reachability analysis of pushdown automata Proceedings of INFINITY '96, tech, rep. MIP-9614, Univ. Passau, 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Bouajjani, J. Esparza, and O. Maler. Reachability analysis of pushdown automata: Application to model checking. To appear in CONCUR '97.Google Scholar
- 5.W. Brauer. Automatentheorie. Teubner, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.J. E. Hopcroft and J. D. Ullman. Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation. Addison-Wesley, 1979.Google Scholar