Efficient construction of a bounded degree spanner with low weight
Let S be a set of n points in ℝd and let t>1 be a real number. A t-spanner for S is a graph having the points of S as its vertices such that for any pair p, q of points there is a path between them of length at most t times the Euclidean distance between p and q. An efficient implementation of a greedy algorithm is given that constructs a t-spanner having bounded degree such that the total length of all its edges is bounded by O(log n) times the length of a minimum spanning tree for S. The algorithm has running time O(n logdn). Applying recent results of Das, Narasimhan and Salowe to this t-spanner gives an O(n logdn) time algorithm for constructing a t-spanner having bounded degree and whose total edge length is proportional to the length of a minimum spanning tree for S. Previously, no o(n2) time algorithms were known for constructing a t-spanner of bounded degree. In the final part of the paper, an application to the problem of distance enumeration is given.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Chandra, G. Das, G. Narasimhan and J. Soares. New sparseness results on graph spanners. Proc. 8th ACM Sympos. Comput. Geom., 1992, pp. 192–201.Google Scholar
- G. Das and P.J. Heffernan. Constructing degree-3 spanners with other sparseness properties. Proc. 4th Annual Intern. Symp. on Algorithms, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 762, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1993, pp. 11–20.Google Scholar
- G. Das, P. Heffernan and G. Narasimhan. Optimally sparse spanners in 3-dimensional Euclidean space. Proc. 9th Annu. ACM Sympos. Comput. Geom., 1993, pp. 53–62.Google Scholar
- G. Das and G. Narasimhan. A fast algorithm for constructing sparse Euclidean spanners. Proc. 10th Annu. ACM Sympos. Comput. Geom., 1994.Google Scholar
- G. Das, G. Narasimhan and J. Salowe. Properties of Steiner minimum trees with applications to small weight Euclidean graphs. Manuscript, 1994.Google Scholar
- A. Datta, H.P. Lenhof, C. Schwarz and M. Smid. Static and dynamic algorithms for k-point clustering problems. Proc. 3rd WADS, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 709, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1993, pp. 265–276.Google Scholar
- H.-P. Lenhof and M. Smid. Enumerating the k closest pairs optimally. Proc. 33rd Annu. IEEE Sympos. Found. Comput. Sci., 1992, pp. 380–386.Google Scholar
- F.P. Preparata and M.I. Shamos. Computational Geometry, an Introduction. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1985.Google Scholar
- J.S. Salowe. On Euclidean spanner graphs with small degree. Proc. 8th Annu. ACM Sympos. Comput. Geom., 1992, pp. 186–191.Google Scholar
- J.S. Salowe. Personal communication, 1994.Google Scholar