A performance study of declustering strategies for parallel spatial databases
Effective exploitation of shared-nothing multiprocessors to improve the performance of spatial database applications requires novel query processing techniques. This is because, unlike traditional data, spatial objects are naturally multidimensional. As such, traditional single-dimensional declustering strategies are not directly applicable for spatial relation. In this paper, we propose and study the effect of several declustering strategies for spatial relations. We build a simulation model to compare the various strategies on the basis of throughput and response time for window queries. Our results show that one of the techniques which exploits redundancy performs best in most cases.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BKSS94]T. Brinkhoff, H. Kriegel, R. Schneider and B. Seeger. Multi-Step Processing of Spatial Joins. Proc. ACM SIGMOD 94, 197–208, 1994.Google Scholar
- [DeW92]D.J. DeWitt: Parallel Database Systems: The Future of High Performance Database Systems. Communications of the ACM, Vol. 35, No. 6, 85–98, 1992.Google Scholar
- [GhD90]S. Ghandeharizadeh and D.J. DeWitt: A Multiuser Performance Analysis of Alternative Declustering Strategies. Proc. ICDE 90, 466–475, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Gut84]A. Guttman: R-trees: A Dynamic Index Structure for Spatial Searching. Proc. ACM SIGMOD 84, 47–57, 1984.Google Scholar
- [HoS94]E. Hoel and H. Samet: Performance of Data-Parallel Spatial Operations. Proc. 20th VLDB Conf., 156–167, 1994.Google Scholar
- [KaF92]I. Kamel and C. Faloutsos: Parallel R Tree. Proc. ACM SIGMOD 92, 1992.Google Scholar
- [LOT94]H. Lu, B.C. Ooi and K.L. Tan: Query Processing in Parallel Relational Database Systems: A Tutorial. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Ore86]J.A. Orenstein: Spatial Query Processing in an Object-Oriented Database System. Proc. ACM SIGMOD 86, 326–333, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Ore89]J.A. Orenstein: Redundancy in Spatial Databases. Proc. ACM SIGMOD 89, 326–333, 1989.Google Scholar
- [SRF87]T. Sellis, N. Roussopoulos and C. Faloutsos: The R+-tree: A Dynamic Index for Multi-dimensional Objects. Proc. 13th VLDB Conf., 507–518, 1987.Google Scholar