Craniofacial surgery simulation
Craniofacial surgery requires careful preoperative planning in order to restore functionality and to improve the patient's aesthetics. In this article we present two different tissue models, integrated in an interactive surgical simulation system, which allow the preoperative visualization of the patient's postoperative appearance. We combine a reconstruction of the patient's skull from computer tomography with a laser scan of the skin, and bring them together into the system. The surgical procedure is simulated and its impact on the skin is calculated with either a MASS SPRING or a FINITE ELEMENT tissue model.
KeywordsSurgical Simulation Finite Element Approach Mass Spring Model Craniofacial Surgery Marching Cube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bat82]Bathe K.-J., “Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis, “ Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1982.Google Scholar
- [Kee96a]Keeve E., Girod S., Pfeifle P., Girod B., “Anatomy Based Facial Tissue Modeling Using the Finite Element Method,“ Proc. Visualization '96, San Francisco, CA, Oct. 27–Nov. 1, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Kee96b]Keeve E., Girod S., Schaller S., Girod B., “Adaptive Surface Data Compression,“ Signal Processing, to appear 1996.Google Scholar
- [Lan95]Langtangen H.-P., “A Solver for the Equations of Linear Thermo-Elasticity,“ The Diffpack Report Series, SINTEF, June 24, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Lor87]Lorensen W. E., Cline H. E., “Marching Cubes: A High Resolution 3D Surface Construction Algorithm,“ ACM Computer Graphics, Vol 21, No. 4, pp. 38–44, July 1987.Google Scholar
- [Ste94]Steinhäuser E. W., “Weichteilvorhersage bei bimaxillären Operationen,“ Fortschritte in der Kiefer-und Gesichts-Chirurgie, Sonderband: Die bimaxilläre Chirurgie bei skelettalen Dysgnathien, Thieme-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Wat92]Waters K., “A Physical Model of Facial Tissue and Muscle Articulation Derived from Computer Tomography Data,“ SPIE Visualization in Biomedical Computing, Volume 1808, pp. 574–583. 1992.Google Scholar