Computer aided screening system for lung cancer based on helical CT images
In this paper, we describe a computer assisted automatic diagnosis system for lung cancer that detects tumor candidates at an early stage from helical CT images. This automation of the process reduces the time complexity and increases the diagnosis confidence. Our algorithm consists of analysis and diagnosis sections, and detects regions of lung tumor based on image processing techniques and medical knowledge. We have applied our algorithm to 450 patient's data for mass screening. The results show that our algorithm detects lung cancer candidates successfully.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T.Iinuma,Y.Tateno,T.Matsumoto,S.Yamamoto, M.Matsumoto, “Preliminary Specification of X-ray CT for Lung Cancer Screening (LSCT) and its Evaluation on Risk-Cost-Effectiveness”, NIPPON ACTA RADIOLOGICA, Japan, vol.52, no.2, pp.182–190, 1992Google Scholar
- J.Hasegawa,K.Mori,J.Toriwaki,H.Anno,K.Katada, “Automated Extraction of Lung Cancer Lesions from Multi-Slice Chest CT Images by Using Tree-Dimensional Image Processing”, Trans.IEICE, Japan, vol.J76-D-II, no.8, pp.1587–1594, 1993Google Scholar
- M.L.Giger, K.T.Bae, H.MacMahon and MacMahon, “Computerized Detection of Pulmonary Nodules in computed Tomography Images”,Invest Radiol,vol.29,no.4,pp.459–465,1994Google Scholar
- M.M.Trivede, J.C.Bezdek, “Low-Level segmentation of aerial images with Fuzzy clustering”, IEEE Trans.Syst., Man. & Cybern., SMC-16, 4, pp.589–59, 1986Google Scholar
- J.Toriwaki, A.Fukumura, T.Maruse, “Fundamental Properties of the Gray Weighted Distance Transformation”, Trans.IEICE,Japan,vol.J60-D,no.12,pp.1101–1108, 1977Google Scholar
- K.Kanazawa, N.Niki, H.Nishitani, H.Satoh, H.Omatsu, N.Moriyama, “Computer Assisted Diagnosis of Lung Cancer Using Helical X-ray CT”, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp.261–267,1994.Google Scholar
- K.Kanazawa, K.Kubo, N.Niki, H.Satoh, H.Ohmatsu, K.Eguchi, N.Moriyama: “Computer Assisted Lung Cancer Diagnosis Based on Helical CT Images”, Image Analysis Applications and Computer Craphics, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, pp.323–330,1995.Google Scholar