Limited acceleration mechanism for cell loss free flow control in ATM networks
This paper presents a new feedback congestion control mechanism for the flow control of the best-effort traffic in ATM networks. This new mechanism belongs to the class of feedback control schemes that ensures no data losses. It operates based on a new single-bit feedback scheme which provides ‘continuation’, ‘acceleration’ and ‘deceleration’ signals. The new mechanism can guarantee cell loss free by limiting sources' cell transmission acceleration. Simulation results show that our new mechanism is effective.
Key wordATM network feedback control cell loss free multimedia traffic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Iliadis, I.: A new feedback congestion control policy for long propagation delays..IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. Vol. 13, No. 7 (1995) 1284–1295.Google Scholar
- 2.Jain, R.: Congestion control and traffic management in ATM networks: Recent advances and a survey. Computer Networks and ISDN Systems. Vol.28, No.13 (1996) 1723–1738.Google Scholar
- 3.Kanakia, H., Mishra, P. P.: Packet video transport in ATM networks with singlebit feedback. Multimedia Systems. Vol. 4, No. 6 (1996) 370–380.Google Scholar
- 4.Kanakia, H., Keshav, S., Mishra, P. P.: A comparison of congestion control schemes. Proceedings of the 4th Annual Workshop on Very High Speed Networks. Baltimore, Md., (1993).Google Scholar
- 5.Ramakrishnan, K. K., Jain, R.: A binary feedback scheme for congestion avoidance in computer networks. ACM Trans Computer Systems. Vol. 8 (1990) 158–181.Google Scholar
- 6.Mitra, D., Seery, J.: New adaptive algorithms for windows and rates in high speed wide area networks based on periodic 1-bit explicit feedback. Technical Report. AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ, (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.Kanakia, H., Reibman, A. R.: An adaptive congestion control scheme for real-time pack video transport. Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM. San Francisco, CA, (1993). IEEE/ACM trans Networking. No. 6 (1993) 671–682.Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, H., Song, E., Sotudeh, R.: Single-bit feedback scheme for multimedia transport in ATM networks. Proceeding of 6th International Conference on Intlligent Systems. Boston, USA. (June 11th to 13th, 1997)Google Scholar