Project work in software maintenance education
Software engineering education has traditionally focussed on the development phase of the software life cycle. It is recognised that maintenance is the most expensive phase of the life cycle, yet it receives very little direct attention in the software engineering curriculum. This paper contrasts a development based approach with a maintenance based approach to project work in software engineering education.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- SWANSON, E.F.: ‘The Dimensions of Maintenance', Proceedings of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Software Engineering, IEEE, 492–497, 1976.Google Scholar
- PRESSMAN, R.S.: 'software Engineering — A Practitioner's Approach’ (McGraw-Hill, 2nd Ed., 1987).Google Scholar
- LIENTZ, B.P. and SWANSON, E.F.: 'software Maintenance Management’ (Addison-Wesley, 1980).Google Scholar
- GIBBS, N.E. and FAIRLEY, R.E.: 'software Engineering Education: The Educational Needs of the Software Community’ (Springer Verlag, 1987).Google Scholar
- BENNETT, K.H., CORNELIUS, B.J., MUNRO, M. and ROBSON, D.J.: ‘Software Maintenance: A Key Field for Research', University Computing, 10(4), 184–188, 1988.Google Scholar
- HORNING, J.J. and WORTMAN, D.B.: ‘Software hut: A computer program engineering project in the form of a game', IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, SE-3, 325–330, 1977.Google Scholar
- WORTMAN, D.B.: ‘Software projects in an academic environment', IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, SE-13(11), 1176–1181, 1987.Google Scholar
- FAIRLEY, R.E.: 'software Engineering Concepts’ (McGraw-Hill, 1985).Google Scholar
- PARNAS, D.L. and WEISS, D.: ‘Active Design Reviews', Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Software Engineering, IEEE, 132–136, 1986.Google Scholar
- WIRTH, N: ‘Pascal-S: a subset and its implementation', in BARRON, D.W. (Ed), ‘Pascal — The Language and its Implementation', Wiley, 199–260, 1981.Google Scholar
- REES, M.J. and ROBSON, D.J.: ‘Practical Compiling with Pascal-S’ (Addison Wesley, 1988).Google Scholar