Tactile imaging for component recognition
A simple, parallel-mode tactile transducer for extracting three-dimensional digital representations of complex engineering components is proposed. In addition, algorithms for computer processing of the tactile information to produce a compact structural description of the scrutinised object are evolved. The possibility exists that these techniques might be applied to future generations of automatic assembly machines with sensory feedback.
KeywordsGround Plane Tactile Sensor Industrial Robot Scene Analysis Relational Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Page, C.J.: "Visual and tactile feedback for the automatic manipulation of engineering parts". Ph.D. thesis, Nottingham University, U.K. (1974)Google Scholar
- 2.Heginbotham, W.B., Gatehouse, D.W., Pugh, A., Kitchin, P.W. and Page, C.J.: "The Nottingham "SIRCH" assembly robot". Proc. 1st. Conf. on Industrial Robot Technology, Nottingham University, U.K. (1973).Google Scholar
- 3.Heginbotham, W.B., Page, C.J. and Pugh, A.: "Robot Research at Nottingham University". Proc. Symposium on Industrial Robots and Robot Exhibition, Tokyo, Japan (November 1974)Google Scholar
- 4.Roberts, L.G.: "Machine perception of three-dimensional solids", Optical and electro-optical information processing, MIT press (1965).Google Scholar
- 5.Barrow, H.G. and Popplestone, R.J.: "Relational descriptions in picture processing", Machine Intelligence 6, Ed.Meltzer and Michie, EUP, (1971).Google Scholar
- 6.Inoue, H.: "Tactile pattern recognition for manipulating objects", Electro-technical Lab.A.I & R. Group Technical Note No. 2, Tokyo, Japan (Feb 1973)Google Scholar
- 7.Shirai, Y.: "Recognition of polyhedra with a rangefinder", Bulletin of the Electro-technical Lab. Vol.35, No.3, pp.96–102 (March 1971).Google Scholar
- 8.Larcombe, M.: "Tactile perception for robot devices", Proc. 1st. Conference on Industrial Robot Technology, Nottingham University, U.K. (1973).Google Scholar
- 9.Okada, T. and Twuchiya, S.: "Three-dimensional pattern recognition with an artificial hand", Bulletin of the Electrotechnical Laboratory, Vol.35, No.3, pp.334–45 (1971).Google Scholar
- 10.Kinoshita et al: "Pattern recognition by an artificial tactile sense", Proc. 1st. Int. Jnt. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, London (1971).Google Scholar
- 11.Kakikura et al: "On the control of an industrial robot with tactile sensors" Transactions of the Society of Instrumentation and Control (Japan) No.7, p.31 (1971).Google Scholar
- 12.Freeman, H.: "Techniques for the digital-computer analysis of chain-encoded arbitrary plane curves," Proc.National Electronics Cong., Vol.17. Chicago, 1961.Google Scholar