Converting affine recurrence equations to quasi-uniform recurrence equations
Most work on the problem of synthesizing a systolic array from a system of recurrence equations is restricted to systems of uniform recurrence equations. In this paper, this restriction is relaxed to include systems of affine recurrence equations. A system of uniform recurrence equations typically can be embedded in spacetime so that the distance between a variable and a dependent variable does not depend on the problem size. Systems of affine recurrence equations which are not uniform, do not enjoy this property. A method is presented for converting a system of affine recurrence equations to an equivalent system of recurrence equations that is uniform, except for points near the boundaries of its index sets. A characterization of those systems of affine recurrence equations that can be so converted is given, along with an algorithm that decides if a system is amenable to such a conversion, and a procedure that converts those affine systems which can be converted.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. R. Cappello and K. Steiglitz. Unifying VLSI array design with linear transformations of space-time. In F. P. Preparate, editor, Advances in Computing Research, vol. 2, VLSI Theory, pages 23–65, JAI Press, Inc., 1984.Google Scholar
- J.-M. Delosme and I. C. F. Ipsen. An illustration of a methodology for the construction of efficient systolic architectures in VLSI. In Proc. 2nd Int. Symp. on VLSI Technology, Systems and Applications, pages 268–273, Taipei, 1985.Google Scholar
- J-M Delosme and I. C. F. Ipsen. Systolic Array Synthesis: Computability and Time Cones. Technical Report Yale/DCS/RR-474, Yale, May 1986.Google Scholar
- M. Newman. Matrix representation of groups. In Applied Mathematics Series-60, Institute for Basic Standards, National Bureau of Standards, Washington D.C. 20234, July 1968.Google Scholar
- S. K. Rao. Regular Iterative Algorithms and Their Implementation on Processor Arrays. PhD thesis, Stanford University, October 1985.Google Scholar
- Y. Yaacoby and P. R. Cappello. Converting Affine Recurrence Equations to Quasi-Uniform Recurrence Equations. Technical Report 18, Dept. Computer Science, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, Feb. 1988.Google Scholar
- Y. Yaacoby, P. R. Cappello, D. Witt, and K. C. Millett. Computing a Fundamental Region for a Finite Matrix Group Acting on a Euclidean Space. Technical Report 4, Dept. Computer Science, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, Feb. 1988.Google Scholar