Formal derivation of an error-detecting distributed data scheduler using Changeling
This paper focuses on being able to detect component errors which can lead to system failures in the scheduling part of the lock manager portion of the distributed database system by using embedded executable assertions. The technique used to generate the executable assertions is based on the mathematical model of program verification.
Key wordsDistributed Databases Executable Assertions Formal Methods Concurrent Program Verification Fault Tolerance Transformation Changeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BeGo82]Bernstein, P. and Goodman, N., “Concurrency Control in Distributed Database Systems,” Computing Surveys, 13, 2, 1981, pp. 185–221.Google Scholar
- [EGLT76]Eswan, K.P., Gray, J.N., Lorie, R.A., and Traiger I.L., “The Notions of Consistency and Predicate Locks in a Database System,” Communications of the ACM, 19, 11, 1976, pp. 624–633.Google Scholar
- [Hoar69]Hoare, C., “An Axiomatic Basis for Computer Programming,” Communications of the ACM, 12, 10, 1969, 576–583.Google Scholar
- [KuRe86]Kuhl, J. and Reddy, S., “Fault Tolerance Considerations in Large, Multiple Pro cessor Systems,” IEEE Computer, March 1986, pp. 56–67.Google Scholar
- [LaSP82]Lamport, L., Shostack, R. and Pease, M., “The Byzantine General's Problem,” ACM Transaction on Programming Language Systems, vol. 4, July 1982, pp. 382–401.Google Scholar
- [LeGr81]Levin, G.M and Gries, D., “A Proof Technique for Communicating Sequential Process,” Acta Information, 15, 1981, 281–302.Google Scholar
- [LuMc91]Lutfiyya, H. and McMillin, B., “Comparison of Three Axiomatic Proof Systems,” UMR Department of Computer Science Technical Report Number CSC 91-13, (Submitted to Information Processing Letters)Google Scholar
- [LuSM92a]Lutfiyya, H., Schollmeyer, M., and McMillin, B., “Fault-Tolerant Distributed Sort Generated from a Verification Proof Outline,” Second International Workshop on Responsive Computer Systems, 1992 (To Appear)Google Scholar
- [LuSM92b]Lutfiyya, H., Su, A., and McMillin, B., “Formal Derivation of an Error-Detecting Distributed Data Scheduler Using Changeling,” UMR Technical Report CSc. 92-014.Google Scholar
- [McNi92]McMillin, B. and Ni, L., “Reliable Distributed Sorting Through The Application-oriented Fault Tolerance Paradigm,” IEEE Trans. On Parallel and Distributed Computing, Volume 3, Number 4, July 1992, pp. 411–420.Google Scholar
- [OwLa82]Owicki, S. and Lamport, L., “Proving Liveness Properties of Concurrent Programs,” ACM TOPLAS, Vol. 4, No. 3, July 1982, pp. 455–495.Google Scholar